Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

STRIKE!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: STRIKE!!!!!!!!!

I think another problem, at least in some of the areas around my hometown is that the parents almost seem to side with the kids more than working with the teachers. If a kid comes home and complains about a teacher or too much homework, a parents calls the teacher and chews their butt for that, or if a kid does something at school and says another at home, the teacher catches hell for it because the parents can't see how their kid could do that.

I'm not sayin this is the case all the time or everywhere, its just something ive noticed lately. My wife just started teachinglast year, so we're kinda new to the teacher side of the deal, but so far she hasnt had any problems like that(knock on wood)
Old 09-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Regarding the low pay for teachers....A lot depends on what one considers low pay. Salaries in public schools around hear I would HARDLY consider low pay. I have seen some private schoolsthat are pretty low, but I think generally in PA teachers are well paid
Old 09-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

lungbuster....Find a teacher that bowhunts and..... no funny business!!
Old 09-02-2005, 03:21 PM

My wife is a special ed school teacher for 7th and 8th grades.You would not believe the things we meaning she brings her work home a lot deal with.We take money from our own pockets and help the kids who cant afford things such as supplies clothes shoes and such.My wife has her masters which she graduated from SIU last monbth with.She works every bit as hard as I do and she deserves everything she gets.It costs us 900 a month for her insurance for our family.That is out of our pockets.She spends countless hours every night grading homework and making tests and such.She works atleast 2 hours a night at home on her school work.So to have some kid whine about missing out on some vacation days erks me to no end.These teachers put up with kids who no adays do not respect adults and do not listen to people only trying to help them.THEY DO DESERVE EVERYTHING THEY EARN............
Old 09-02-2005, 03:50 PM

In Hawaii teachers went on strike 2-3yrs ago because they wanted more money. I agree teachers don't get paid what they should but they don't set a very good example to our youth by walking away and or quiting when they don't get what they want. Try being a soldier. I'm a Non-Commision Officer and teach young soldiers everyday. They also teach me. Now I volunteered because I feel it's the duty of all Americans but I do not push my beliefs on others. It's a teachers duty to teach. Why do you CHOOSE to teach? Can't be for the money. I serve knowing that I won't get rich. Back to Hawaii::::: A lot of teachers here recieved their qualification in the 70 to late 80's. The students here and their knowledge has exceeded the knowledge of the teacher. The education process is very out dated here. I believe in educating the educater. I believe in qualification testing accross the board. If you want better pay then you must qualify. Tenur means nothing. You can't push a student to improve themselves if you don't push yourself to improve. Lead from the front or get out of the way. I have total respect for those that are TEACHERS. But teaching and being a teacher is 2 different things. Hope things work out for everyone.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:11 PM

I usually resign myself to watching but I'll step in on this one.

Dab029 I sympathize with your lost. I believe the teachers are deserving of all the money they get then some. The problem with a vast majority of kids and parents is the lack or responsibility they show for their actions. The parents want to havekids but don't want to raise them, so they drug them. Adults don't want totake responibility and deal with their choices and decisions so they run to the Doctor and get a legal drug to crutch up their lack of maturity. If he doesn't give them something they wine and make up stuff till they get it. Please lets not pull the sheet and make excusses we all see it every day but as a society we ignore it all because "it doesn't affect me". Well it does affect me and everyone else.
Did'nt mean to rant and I'm not pointing at anyone in particular, but don't you ever stop and wonder why we have armed police officers at our middle schools today. Not for the boogey man outside but the 11 year old derelick that sits beside your child.

JR
Old 09-03-2005, 10:54 AM

[:@]
ORIGINAL: Illinois Bowhuntin

.So to have some kid whine about missing out on some vacation days erks me to no end.These teachers put up with kids who no adays do not respect adults and do not listen to people only trying to help them.THEY DO DESERVE EVERYTHING THEY EARN............
who do u think your are not every school is filled with abuch of thieves and misbehaivors yours might but ours isnt. Our school may have at the most 1500 kids and for some one to get in trouble doesnt happen very often. Our school is one of the best behaved schools in our county. This is the second time they went on strike. The benifits they want arent payed by the school and what they want is totaly unreasonible. Its payed by the people in the community who arent making what the teachers make our taxes are going to be raised again because of this because the teachers want early retirement and other nonsense.The past five years the school year ends way past every one elses. The teachers should be caring about the students not them selves and if they dont like what there being paid LEAVE.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:27 AM

I have to weigh in on this one because it is really a big issue for most of us in NJ right now. Teachers in NJ, across the board, are VERY well paid for what they do, yet they always threaten strike and hold your kids over your head when demanding more money. Teachers work day shift, usually from around 7:30am or 8:00am till 3:00pm at the latest, weekends and holidays off, 2 weeks off at Chrsitmas, one week for "spring break" (why kids in grade school and high school need a spring break is beyond me...and I always thought that break was designed by teacher unions for teachers only), plus all the other time off for teachers conventions, teacher meetings/inservice trainings, sick days, vacation days, personal days, and great benefits. They also only work 9 months a year for their salary, which in most cases, is a salary higher than police officers who work 12 months a year in a tough job too.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge anyone from making a good living...but when you constantly whine about needing more money for the "children", yet the majority of the funds go to teacher and administraotr salaries and benefits...I get tired of hearing it. Then, you add on the fact that just before school starts, the teachers send lists home of things you have to buy for you kids because the school doesn't have the money to buy them, and I get peeved. Teachers in my town make an average of $79,000.00 for 9 months of work, and it's still not enough. We get hammered on property taxes every year because they need more money, yet I'm constantly getting notes home that we have to buy this or that because the school can't afford it, or those fund raisers they get the kids to peddle every week, sometimes two come home a week, because they need more money. Well where in the hell does the $6,348.00 I pay in school taxes go...oh yeah, I forgot, look in the teacher parking lot and you see where it goes...Jags, Mercedes SUV's, Lincoln Town cars, BMW's, Lexuses and Acura's dominate. I'm driving around in a 14 yr old Ford pick up with 200,000 miles on it because my school taxes jump by several hundred dollars evey year for what...does the Vice Principal need a new boat...the music teacher need a new beach house...the spanish teacher need a new pocono house...the art teacher need a new inground pool? The best homes in the town, and the nicest vehicles belong to teachers or school administraotrs...and they get that by reaching into my pocket and yours, even after we tell them we can't afford it and vote no on the budget...they pass it anyway.

Personally, I wish the school boards would just fire them when they strike...I have no sympathy for striking teachers...and if you think that's harsh, you should try living in my shoes and paying my tax bills, then watch as your kids go to school in classrooms with no AC, falling down buildings, and very subpar facilities...while the teachers live in 1/2 million dollar homes and drive fancy new vehicles.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

$79,000!!!!!!! Good Grief.. I teach in Texas and the highest paid teacher on the Salary scale(20 years) is 43,000. Crap, My Superintendentmakes 75,000. But it is a small school. In NJ your administrators must make 200,000. That’s amazing.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:17 PM

Florida is the lowest paid state for teachers... Now if they are making 79,000 for 9 months of work[:@]

Quick Reply: STRIKE!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.