Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

fawn call

Old 09-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fawn call

Works well for me, have called in a few this way. I havecalled in small bucks this way too. It seems to work better than grunts or rattling for me.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. I tried one a few years back and had a doe coming crashing through the woods to within 5 yards. I only blew on the thing for 2 minutes and she was there. To tell you the truth it's the first time I saw something happen on a hunting video that worked the same way in real life. I couldn't beleive it. Then again, as stated earlier, it was pre-season and by the time our season opens it doesn't work as well.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

For those of you who have been successful with it, can you tell me how you used the call? Do you just urgently wail on it for a minute or two? Do you just do a couple of fawn bleats, kind of like the can but higher pitched? Any sound files out there to demonstrate?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used it with the same results twice , doe came running in , problem is , when they came in , they were onhigh alert. I dont use it anymore for that reason. Shooting at a deer on high alert is a "I wounded one" thread waiting to happen in my opinion.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:14 AM

I think it works well in pre season when the fawns are still young.But as the season rolls in they dont come to it as well and a lot of times they will turn tail and run off.So it is a marginal at best call to use only at the beginning of the season.If you have a lot of does bread the year before suring the secondary rut then you might have a chance.I also agree it sometimes isnt the best call to use while hunting.They do come in fast and on high alert.Hard to get a good shot off then.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: UPHunter89

I just bough a Lohman Fawn Bleat call last month and was planning on using it this season. Seeing as how it works so well for does, I migh use it on the Michigan youth hunt and bag a mature doe as my 1st deer!
I just bought that one and will also be trying it out during the season .

My county has been selected as a doe reduction county , so I have the chance to take up to four in excess of the bag limit . For a meat hunter it doesn't get much sweeter !