Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fixed or Mechanical??

Old 09-01-2005, 04:27 PM

Default RE: Fixed or Mechanical??

What you are saying makes perfect sense. However, my bow is tuned just fine, atleast to the field points. I havent been able to practice with my new broadheads yet. And I was told that it would not shoot the same. That is why I asked the question. I mean, is what you are telling is that a field point, and a fixed broadhead will fly exactly the same if my bow is tuned right just by using the field points?? And as far as my our season opening in two days, I said nothing about hunting this early. I realize my bow isnt ready yet. I was just simply questioning what I had heard.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:33 PM

All I can say is shoot,shoot, shoot, then shoot some more. Sometimes you can be your best teacher.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: lcfirechief

What you are saying makes perfect sense. However, my bow is tuned just fine, atleast to the field points. I havent been able to practice with my new broadheads yet. And I was told that it would not shoot the same. That is why I asked the question. I mean, is what you are telling is that a field point, and a fixed broadhead will fly exactly the same if my bow is tuned right just by using the field points?? And as far as my our season opening in two days, I said nothing about hunting this early. I realize my bow isnt ready yet. I was just simply questioning what I had heard.
Don't listen to what other say MIGHT happen if you shoot fixed broadheads, go out and shoot them and see for yourself. You just might be surprised and they hit right where you're aiming!

If they don't shoot where you want them to, then try tuning you bow to find out why. It may be the bow (most likely) it may be the arrows, but find out why it's not shooting where your field points are.

I'm sorry if I came across harsh but I am very adament about people taking the time to learn a little about the weapon they are using (bow or gun). I'm not saying you have to be an expert, God knows I'm not. There are some things I leave to the pro's. But it's not hard to get a good understanding of how your equipment works.

Do that and you won't need to rely on others so much. There are many ways of obtaining information. I think someone posted the Easton guide to tuning, read it it's full of good information.

Good luck and I hope your bows shoots fixed broadheads greatthe first time you shoot them andI hope you get into the woods soon.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

You must make sure the Broadheads are aligned correctly too. You need to spin test the arrows. If you dont get a perfect spin, switch the broadhead. Put it on a different arrow and so forth until you get a perfect spin.. Then shoot it. It should shoot damn near where your field points are hitting. I shoot muzzy's and i switch arrows and broadheads until i get all of them shooting like bullets. Sometimes i even refletch the arrow if necessary..

Old 09-02-2005, 01:45 PM

However, my bow is tuned just fine,
If that is in fact the case than the fixed broadheads will land close to the field tip.

if they do not hit close to your filed tips than the bow is not tuned just fine.

So shoot your fixed broadhead into a box of rags or something to find that out.

www.eastonarchery.com select download and selct tuning guide and read about tuning.

Good luck to ya.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I second the motion of the BIRDHUNTDOG......practice with the same broadheads the you use in the field..That is truly the only way that you can be on and worry free. None of this resetting and oops ..forgetting the resetting. Just hunt!!!!!
NOTE WELL....mechanicals are recommended for use only with bows rated at 50lbs or more due to the heads requiring additional energy to open upon penetration. Can you hold that 50lbs for a few minutes to get that broadside or quartering away shot????? Sounds like youre new to this!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reylamb......Im still laughing at what you said.. how true.... how true
the new guy just goes into the woods and thinks that thats all it is .
HE should definitely go to a club and seek advice and proper skills training....he could hurt himself or someone else. The problem is you go to a Bowhunters course..answer some questions...and youre "ROBIN HOOD"

ps..Im still laughing
Old 09-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

fire chief whats up??? hey listen to this Alot of hunters try to go out on opening day whatever the costs.. We assumed you were one of those hunters..sorry for that... Also safety is a big part of what is talked about in these forums, your safety came to mind with you question. NO DISRESPECT JUST CARING.. THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION IS THE ONE NOT ASKED.....KEEP ASKING KID....ITS GONNA BE ALRIGHT
Old 09-02-2005, 07:03 PM
PLB

Ease up guys, for heck sakes the man is trying to learn here. I think he is doing the responsible thing in trying to get some help. Isn't that what this forum is for? Or was the forum created to riddicule those that don't know as much as you?

Icfirechief,
The info about fixed heads not flying the same as field points is not neccesarily true. How is your accuracy right now (how big is your 3 shot group at distances of 20, 30 and 40 yards) with field points? If your hitting your target consistently with field points, then try shooting broadheads at those same distances (keep in mind you will need to shoot at a broadhead target). If your not hitting the same point of impact as your field tips, then you will need some tuning done. Easton Archery has a great web site that can inform you how to do this. As a beginner, I would recommend finding an archery shop that is willing to show you how to do it.

As for what broadhead to use,depends on several factors, your draw length, poundage of your bow, arrow weight, speed of your arrow, and the game you are hunting. Ensure that the broadheads you are using are the same weight as the field tips you are using.

Even better, PM me and I will be glad to help you out as best I can.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is some good reading here. Sorry to the Chief, these are at your question.But very good points are made in this post.

The only input I have is I am going to shoot the fixed blades tomorrow that I bought today. I have always used mechanicals and have made some great shots. My complaint is there has never been a blood trail to follow. Drip here, 30 yards, another drip....... hands and knee action for tracking. Needless to say I am going to try the fixed blade this year. I will let ya know how they work should I have the opportunity. Good luck, and shoot some 3-d in the off season!!

Quick Reply: Fixed or Mechanical??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.