Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scoring: 60 Day Drying Period

Old 08-31-2005, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scoring: 60 Day Drying Period

I was thinking about how before your deer can be officially scored it has to be dead for 60 days. People say that in this time the score will be lower because of the rack shrinking. What I want to know if how much will a rack shrink in those 60 days? I know it's all proportional to the initial size of the rack so lets just say a 150 class deer.

I guess I am confused becasue it seems to me that the antlers shouldn't shrink because they are hardened bone which hasn't had any type of stuff on it that would make them enlarge since the velvet came off. I can however see how the skull would shrink because it was wet and moist from being inside the deer. Do the antlers shrink or just the skull plate? And if so, abouthow much?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scoring: 60 Day Drying Period

Wow, thats a good question, i never really thought about it. Since they are bone, they shouldnt shrink, IMO anyhow. Anyone know?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

One aspect that will shrink is the inside spread , lots of guys jam a 1x2 inbetween the antlers while drying to prevent this . As the skull dries it shrinks slightly and pulls the antlers toward each other .
Old 08-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-31-2005, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

My 130'' lost 3/8 in 60 days. I think it loss mostly mass. I'll check the score sheets to get it right for sure. I'll post both sheets tomorrow if I remember!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Three years ago my 148 1/2 went to 146. Last year I shot an 8 that scored 125 1/8 and I used the 2x4...really snugged it in there. It dried at 125 even.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you dont cut the antlers off the skull it will not shrink as much either. It's when you cut the antlers off that the skull plate draws up more.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:46 AM

Two or three inches of shrinkage seems to be pretty normal. I'vegreen scored alot of racks {mostly 130-140 inch deer} that ended up losing that much. I've never tried the 2X4 trick but I'm sure that would work for the spread. They seem to lose a little bit all the way around, usually no more than 1/4" off of each measurement, but they do definately shrink.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:56 AM

I guess to make it uniform everybody needs to shove a 2X4 in their rack when drying? The reason they say 60 days is so everyone is on the same playing field when it comes to measurements. You guys that are shoving shims in there to get the most inches are unbelievable. Why not just pull the horns apart while they are still wet?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:43 AM

ORIGINAL: ShadowAce

I guess to make it uniform everybody needs to shove a 2X4 in their rack when drying? The reason they say 60 days is so everyone is on the same playing field when it comes to measurements. You guys that are shoving shims in there to get the most inches are unbelievable. Why not just pull the horns apart while they are still wet?
That's sort of what I was thinking as I was reading this. Are the extra 1 or 2 inches really worth it?

Do those of you who practice this enter your bucks for P&Y? If so, do you feel you're being completely honest when you do?

Quick Reply: Scoring: 60 Day Drying Period

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.