Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how low to aim

Old 08-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how low to aim

I always aim for the heart. That way, if they duck, I still get the lungs.and if they don't then I got a nice heart shot.
This is good advice. Some deer duck at the shot and some don't. I am not an advocate of aiming so low that if the deerjust stands there you miss the vitals. Put your pin on their heart and it will be a rare case where a deer ducks under that. I haven't had a deer limbo under one of my arrows in many years.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:52 PM

I shoot were I want to hit and it seems to work. good luck!
Old 08-29-2005, 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: mexhuntr

I shoot were I want to hit and it seems to work. good luck!
i agree ,
it`sonly logic that if you aim for the ground most times you will hit it.

aim for a spot on the heart, tight groups and focus kill deer.
thinkingto much at shot time creates mistakes.

PT
Old 08-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thankyou Mobow. I was hoping someone would say that. Deer do not duck arrows. They preload their muscles to flee in a reaction to something they see or hear. 99% of the time it's a loud bow or some junk accessories on the bow that rattle. Get the bow as quiet as possible. Also learn to bend at the waist when shooting from a stand. The biggest reason guys shoot high from an elevated position is because they just drop their arm to aim and don't bend at the waist. This makes the bow shoot higher because the shooters form is different.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

For you folks that don't believe a deer can drop a foot by the time the arrow travels 15 or 20 yards.... you haven't hunted long enough or shot enough deer. There are times it is prudent to aim lower than you want to hit or not shoot at all. If you haven't seen it, you have tame deer or haven't hunted long enough.