Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

StealthCam Question???

Old 08-29-2005, 09:34 AM

Default StealthCam Question???

I couldn't take it any more, I had to buy a trail camera. I just bought the cheapo Stealth model, and I know, I get what I pay for. Anyway, I was wondering, from you fellas that have used this model, did the "test" function work like you expected? I set the camera out yesterday, and found that I couldn't get the little green test light to come on unless I was directly in front of the cam, about 8 feet or closer. Once I got beyond that distance, the light would not come on. I tried it in both modes, near and far, without any change. Did y'all have the same results? Is this normal? If not, does it seem like I set it up wrong or is the unit not working properly? I did manage to make it take a mugshot of me, and the LCD displayed "1", so hopefully I loaded the darn film correctly.

I see all the pics that y'all post, and I just had to get one.

Thanks for any help and advice!
Old 08-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: StealthCam Question???

I never tried the test function on mine. I just set it up and low and behold , it worked. Try it and see what you get.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:36 PM

Seems like the stealth camera's vary in quality with the test mode. I have had fairly good results the past couple of years. Get it loaded properly and set it out there to experiment with it. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a StealthCam and as far as I know my test works like it's supposed to. I've gotten really good picsfrom my StealthCam. I'd buy about 5 more of em if I had the money.

IMO it's well worth the money I spent on it.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

My 3 stealths work well in Test mode. And I almost always use that function when place a camera in a new spot.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Was there direct sun in your cams field of view? Was the sun hitting the lens at all?The infrared sensorlooks for sudden changes in the heat reading of the field of view.The light will only flash if you move also. If you just stand there it will reset and stay unlit till you move. Mine works great on test. The instructions say to NOT let it be pointed toward the sun. You have to pick a tree that faces the cam preferrably in North or South direction.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:50 PM

I found out that the sensor does not work very well in high heat or humidity. Infa red works way better in the winter since it is detecting the difference in heat. I never thought about that till someone explained it.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:39 AM
Typical Buck

my test function worked good for me, i would be out pretty far getting the green light to come on. you might want to check the angle, mine was pointing somewhat down. when i first put it up with that slight angle, i swore it was facing down too much, but after testing it, it worked great. here are some pics from last year.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:56 AM

Thanks fellas. I do have the camera facing South. I'll see what happens by this weekend. If I don't have any pics, I'll move it around to see if that makes a difference. I could have it too low or tilted a little too much, or both. I can't do anything about the heat and humidity, it's set up in E TX, the most humid place on Earth.