Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So Um...I was Wondering...

Old 08-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So Um...I was Wondering...

TimberCreek, when you get settled in you can invite a couple of friends out for a hunt. You know, to recover some of your costs. I'll be waiting to hear from you.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:31 PM

Default RE: So Um...I was Wondering...

Can't be much assistance in directing you over in the s.w. part of Mo. however I've hunted the large tracts of public land in the south eastern part of the state now for some forty years and I may be able to help you some.
My territory as I said is large, and it is river country with virtually no people, so it offers multiple setups for me. Anyway, you say you're able to read topo maps,(which I consider the biggest tool you can have) you'll need all the skill with them you can muster.
I usually start out the pre-rut hunting the river valley its self because at this time it is all about food for hill country deer. The big bucks are hardest to kill for me at this time mainly because they don't move around much, but they're in the bottoms looking for the most nutritous foods obtainable and they're planted on it. We're talking about secluded wooded bottoms with old throwed out fields within them. It's kind of like hunting abig rabbit to me and not so dynamic as when the rut kicks in so I do'nt do much of it. Also the idea of hunting a feeding animal just do'nt trip my trigger much but to each his own here.
Getting on up to when the rut is about to start I move back onto the ridges overlooking the river. My set-up involves setting a stand back near the very head of a valley that leads directly from the main river valley itselfthat also hasone very important ingrediant.It has to be alighned with the predominant prevailing wind that we get and thats usually from the south west here.A prime buck will set upin these choice valleys for a number of reasons and it would take more time here than i got to explain. Its mainly for the privacy I think but anyhow I setup a stand to start with up near the very top of the ridge on what I call the break of ridge.Its a very distinct change in topography where the elevation at the top falls away into the vally below.My stand will directly overlook this break usually to left of the center line of the valley. I don't have to adjust stand position muchanymore but be prepared to if you see its called for.The tactic here is to catch either the prime buck or satelite bucks patroling this valleys activety both by thewind and thetrails that are cutby any deer traveling in and out. The prime buck if he has any does he'll be down in there and virtaully unkillable unless you and somehelp gang up on him (which I'm not into doing him in that away myself ). The good thing is you've got a shot at him as well as any buck thats big enough to crowd the ol'mans territory. My problem has always been that I can't let a good buck walk and I'm usually short on time these daysfor hunting so I'm not too devoted to the proposition of getting the bad boy of the woods.
Theres still alot of details to learn along the way but I can assure you its a leg-up on how to hunt the big woods on land thatmost peoplenever learn to hunt.
Oh yea, if your into the scents and call thing, it might be of help down in the bottoms but they'll do way more harm than good up on the breaks. All you need is a cheap tent,grub,gear and a will to be gone doing some real hunt'n!
Hope this helps ya out! YFIS