Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need Acorn Lesson

Old 09-28-2002, 12:17 PM

Default I need Acorn Lesson

What color is a white acorn. I have seen short stubby brown acorns,Also white looking acorns, also brown 2 thirds and yellow the rest. Also all green. Thanks
Old 09-28-2002, 03:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-28-2002, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need Acorn Lesson

The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the leaves. If the lobes are pointed it's a red oak; if the lobes are rounded at the ends it's a white oak. There are so many different kinds of oak that are in the red and white families that it's difficult to tell them apart by the acorns.

For deer purposes try this test: open an acorn and chew on it. If it's a red oak it'll pucker your mouth off from the tannic acid. If it's a white oak it may be bitter, it may even be sweet. The deer don't read tree books. They search out the sweetest nuts with the biggest crop. The bitterest acorns available will be eaten last.

Dan O.
Old 09-28-2002, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a book that you can use to identify the trees in your area then you can figure out what the different acorns look like. Somewhere I saw a pocket tree guide for sale that showed pictures of the trees/leaves/bark and told you what areas of the country you could find them in.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:13 PM

DanO knows his acorns. I agree and leaves are the easiest way to tell. I taste them also. But if deer are eating them there will be plenty of droppings is best tool to tell.
Old 09-28-2002, 09:25 PM

"The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees" (eastern region) has color pictures of; leaves, bark and acorns along with some great info. I have been taking my copy to the woods for years and love it.
One of the distinguishing characteristics of the white oak acorn is the cap. It tends to be rough with what looks like a jumble of tiny little beads. The caps of other types of acorns tend to resemble scales.
Thats my best shot...wish I had a scanner, I'ld zip you a pic.
Old 09-29-2002, 06:50 AM

the white oak acorn will be larger and longer than the red oak. the white oak leaves will be more rounded than the other species.also the main characteristic to look for is the bark, white almost paper like that looks as though you can peel it from the tree. usually the growth of the tree will be more up instead of bushy like a red oak.

daniel wiggins