Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hurt my arm a few weeks before opening season, frantically needing suggestions!

Old 08-28-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Hurt my arm a few weeks before opening season, frantically needing suggestions!

It's not broken or anything, it just hurts to draw my bow. I shoot a 55lb Hoyt cybertec and a buddy of mine shoots a 70lbblackmax. We went to the range together. Well as most of you know, that damn black max is a "wicked hard to draw built specifically for speed" bow. And at 15lbs more than my smooth drawing Hoyt, a few pulls must've torn a muscle or maybe worse, a tendon?

Is there anything else I can do besides to lay off it till it heals? It's been a few weeks now and I'm still not able to draw my bow without pain. Opening season is in another few weeks. Getting real desperate. Any suggestions like creams or ointments? Oooh how about some magic fix-a-tendon pill?
Old 08-28-2005, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hurt my arm a few weeks before opening season, frantically needing suggestions!

I would just go see a doctor and let them check it out and tell me what to do. Resting the shoulder is going to be the most important thing.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hurt my arm a few weeks before opening season, frantically needing suggestions!

I did something similar to my back a few years ago. I was pulling an arrow out of my 3d, and after that, couldn't shoot for weeks other than a 20lb recurve. it did heal though. I'd get checked out, and be careful, take care of it. even it you could draw it but it isn't comfortable for opening day, I'd let it go. better to rehab now and be able to hunt later, and not hunt now, but not later.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:33 AM

Something that might help you out in case it turns out to be real serious is an article in this months edition of Bowhunter mag. It was about a guy who shredded his rotator cuff and how he made this harness his release hooked to and he would push with his good arm to bring the bow to full draw. Plus they had some info on someinstitutions that can help you with getting you back into the woods. I hope it is nothing serious but just incase it is something that might keep you out of the woods for archery season check out that article it is pretty interesting. Again hope all turns out to be well.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

glucosamine , helps in healing conective tisue , it takes a couple weeks to work , but has helped me in the past , dont push it , you dont want to make a bad thing worst , Id lay off it for a while .
Old 08-28-2005, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Let me get this straight. You love to hunt, can't wait for the season to start, prepare all year and practice.... and now that it all seems to be in jeopardy you turn to the likes of Me, Cardeer and Huntingal for help. Oh you silly boy. They call them Doctors. That's where you need to go.[&:]
Old 08-28-2005, 11:05 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Now you no why some of us, are pushing for crossbows
Old 08-28-2005, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Let me get this straight. You love to hunt, can't wait for the season to start, prepare all year and practice.... and now that it all seems to be in jeopardy you turn to the likes of Me, Cardeer and Huntingal for help. Oh you silly boy. They call them Doctors. That's where you need to go.[&:]
That's not what I want to hear, HELLO? I need a magic fix it pill atolcha!!!

Once when I put all 18 wheels in the ditch all at once from 60mph, I refused to go to the hospital. Needless to say I spent the next 3 months trying not to laugh toohard or sneeze because any of the like put my insides in agonizing pain. Another time I put a "peep-or- inspection hole"in my left arm allowing me to view my humerous, I refused to go to the hospital. I gave in on that one 'cause I couldn't get the bleeding to stop where 6 stitches needed to go.

Then there was this time... LOL, alright alright, I'll lay off it. I'm not going to the doc just to givegive hima copay and half a days time just so he can prescribe Tylenol though! Anything thatI can fix with a compressor andair tools I'll do in my garage. Anything that can't, well the doc can have a shot at when I'm at my wit's end. No, I'm not hard headed; I just don't take well to good advice. ;D

Seriously, thanks for the replies everyone. I have been looking forward to opening season all year as I'm sure you all are. This really does put a damper on my spirits. *kicks innocent bystanding chair* ... next post: "how do you unstub a toe?"