Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer droppings tell sex

Old 08-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Deer droppings tell sex

I've seen no evidence that you can tell the sex by the droppings , but you can sure have some fun with a newbie and some previously placed Raisinets ...
Old 08-29-2005, 03:54 PM

Makes sense to me. Big deer- big droppings- little deer- little droppings. But the taste is still preferred by some.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard that pellet piles are does and clumped pellets are bucks.

Though I've heard that I think I lean more towards the, clumps and piles are determined by what the deer are foraging on, and less the sex of the deer.

Though the sex might not be determined, knowing what could cause clumped dump is still a valuable tool for hunting the area and determining where the deer are feeding.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

I've always heard the same thing as well.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Here in MT, I don't see too much clumped deer crap, it's mostly all in nice bite-sized pellets.

For elk, I can tell you for sure that clumps versus pellets is entirely related to what they've been eating, not sex. In spring and early summer, you'll see a lot of elk crap in clumps. Then as summer wears on and goes into fall and winter you see mostly pellets. The clumpy crap comes from eating really moist, rich chow (sort of like if you ate a pound of fresh cherries), then as forage dries out the crap comes out as pellets.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Isn't it true that buck droppings taste sweeter than doe droppings, or do I have that mixed up. The droppings where I set my stand taste really sweet!
Old 08-30-2005, 03:24 PM

You guys have too much time on your hands.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:19 PM

I have found that here around me.The does will leave pellets.The bucks leave pellets in terd shaped form.The older it gets it has a tendency to lose its form and turn into loose pellets.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Can you tella sexdifference between soupy poop too?Seriously though.I always thought that Big clumps were bucks,and big pellets were does,and small pellets were small deer.While I still believe the last two,now I believe bigger pellets are bigger deer.I was proven wrong on another site when someone who had read an article stated that deer that are bedded have clumps when they get up,from everything backing up.All deer make pellets,unless they are sick.I think you determine size of an animal,but not sex of an animal.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

good question...i am sure most, like myself, assume that a clump is a buck and pellets are a doe. I do agree that it can depend on what they eat, but when looking at there organs they are not the same. females have more acidic stomachs (typically depending on what they eat) and males tend to have a less acidic stomach. thus this is why we get does with pelletes (food is broken down more) and bucks with clumps (not enough acid to fully break down the food to be used for metabolism)...but again food will play a part in how the clumps our pellets come out

Quick Reply: Deer droppings tell sex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.