Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer droppings tell sex

Old 08-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer droppings tell sex

Although for years I thought that the droppings told age, i recently discovered how wrong I was. I will explain.
The theory would be that the clumpy droopings were bucks, and the pellets were does. But, when a deer beds down the digestive system gets backed up and clumps up on the inside, and comes out in clumps when the deer gets up and "releases" its droppings. Does make clumps just like bucks do, what you are seeing is what happens when the deer gets up from bedding down. The pellets, however, is when the deer is currently eating and constantly moving around, causing no extreme build up, and quick release. This is the theory that I have been told. Am I sure I'm right? No, but it makes sense.
-DS-
Old 08-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK
Old 08-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

as others have said you got to taste the pellets to tell the sex
Old 08-28-2005, 06:30 PM

I raise deerand they all eat the same thing. If a deer has been bedded it will be more solid and if a deer is up feeding it will be in pellets.But sometimes they might have the runs that come from eating something they are not use too eating.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: -DeerSlayer-

Although for years I thought that the droppings told age, i recently discovered how wrong I was. I will explain.
The theory would be that the clumpy droopings were bucks, and the pellets were does. But, when a deer beds down the digestive system gets backed up and clumps up on the inside, and comes out in clumps when the deer gets up and "releases" its droppings. Does make clumps just like bucks do, what you are seeing is what happens when the deer gets up from bedding down. The pellets, however, is when the deer is currently eating and constantly moving around, causing no extreme build up, and quick release. This is the theory that I have been told. Am I sure I'm right? No, but it makes sense.
-DS-
I agree!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:23 PM

I remember reading somewhere that that abucks metablolism isslower than a does which is why a bucks droppings are clumped.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:26 PM

Thats 100% true. doe droppings are like pellets and buck droppings are in a clump.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

You guys got it all wrong...............First you find your deer poo. Then you take off your right boot & sock. Step down with the front of your foot over the poo. Then you must grind your toes into it for a couple of seconds.If the poo sticks It's a buck if it falls off with little residue its a doe[X(]
Old 08-29-2005, 03:00 PM

Ha Ha, Real funny . I think your full of poo .
Old 08-29-2005, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: newman1

I remember reading somewhere that that abucks metablolism isslower than a does which is why a bucks droppings are clumped.
I hate to burst this bubble, but without a doubt, there is absolutely no way to tell the sex of a deer by the type of droppings they leave behind. The digestive tracts of a male is the same as that of a female. Metabolism plays no role. It all depends on what they eat. I raise several deer a year and the bucks can leave pelletted stool and does can leave clumps.

Quick Reply: Deer droppings tell sex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.