Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you hear when you shoot???

Old 08-27-2005, 10:17 AM

Default What do you hear when you shoot???

When you shoot your bow do you hear any noises? Any twang?........any boing?? Anything?

I shoot a Patriot and have NEVER been able to eliminate a tiny twang I hear at the shot.........I have tried everything from stripping the bow bare to epoxy in the cable rod to every string product on the market........still get a tiny twang.

Here is the thing I am wondering though..........I had my brother shoot my bow today while I stood at various distances an angles from him........I heard nothing.......dead silence......just the zip of the arrow. Obviously having my face buried in the string when it goes off is causing me to hear the tiny twang and I shouldn't worry about it because it is not an audible sound outside of a 1 foot circle.

Do you guys hear anything when you let an arrow fly? Does your bow sound louder to you then it really is?

Does your bow sound louder outdoors then indoors?

I have had so many people tell me over the last couple years that they can't belive how quiet my bow is...........I just smile and say "Yea.....I like it" but I am always thinking they must be shooting a grenade launcher because of all the nice things I have to say about my bow...........quietness has never been the first thing I think of.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:22 AM

Default RE: What do you hear when you shoot???

My first bow ( A pse) was like a bomb going off when i shot,But the hoyt that i got now is whisper quiet.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:26 AM

So you hear nothing when the string lets go?
Old 08-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Site Bouncer

I hear a slight "twang" as well.

I have had people tell me that they think my bow is quiet as well but I never had anyone shoot it while I stood back and listened. I don't know anyone with my draw length

I think because the string is so close to your ear, there is no way youwill eliminate the sound of the string (or loop) leaving the release. I believe that isthe "twang" sound you are hearing.

Try shooting with your fingers once and see if you still hear it.

but I am always thinking they must be shooting a grenade launcher
Too Funny!!
Old 08-27-2005, 10:30 AM

Well i do hear a very small twang, But its so quiet i barely notice it. Then again remeber that a had been shooting a old pse that you thought was going to blow up when you shot it.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:31 AM

I have never shot a bow that I thought was truely silent when I shot it... I always heard something, a twang, a buzz sometimes even a snap depending on the bow and I have shot a lot of the bows that some people consider to bethe super quiet ones..One the quieter bows the sound was more quiet but it was still there nevertheless...But, when someone else shoots the same bow they all seem much quieter.. I think it is a proximity thing personally
Old 08-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Site Bouncer

Just to add. If you shoot with your fingers you will still hear some kind of sound as the string leaves the fingers (or tab) but you will notice that it will be a different sound. Any time you have that much pressure and a string that tight, there will always be a sound as the string is let go.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear something that sounds similar to a rubber band snapping, I think it's a combination of the string, and the peep tubing. I had my wife sit just behind me and to my left when I shot. and she says she can't hear anything. So more than likely it'swhat IlRancher said, it's a proximity thing. I'm not to worried about it.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:52 AM

Yeah, i videotaped myself and recorded my shot on a tape recorder to see how it sounded, and it really didn't sound like much at all. Sounds louder when you're shooting compared to standing back a few feet. I thought the PSE Primos STL's theyuse on the Truth series of videos sound loud on the videos, while the Hoyt's and Mathew's on Realtree and Drury sound really quiet.

slayer
Old 08-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

My xbow sounds like a hammerhitting a 2x4

Quick Reply: What do you hear when you shoot???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.