Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you hear when you shoot???

Old 08-27-2005, 11:35 AM

Default RE: What do you hear when you shoot???

ORIGINAL: cardeer

My xbow sounds like a hammerhitting a 2x4

Old 08-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear branches a breakin' and deer a crashin'
Old 08-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't hear a 'twang' sound that I can notice but I do pick up on a 'thump' from the limbs. I do think it's louder indoors or in a blind but that would make sense since the sound cannot travel as far as it does outdoors. I've recorded myself with a camcorder and the bow definately sounds much quieter when it's not right next to your face.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

I hear a little twang on my diamond,but it's unnoticeable at 10yds.I recommended a saunders buzz off to a friend,after hearing good things.,and he said it took the twang away!I'm going to buy my own shortly.
http://www.sausa.com/pp7.html
Old 08-27-2005, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've also been complamented on my Pat's quietness.
But sinceI put the wisker biscuit on the sound has increased for the shooter. I hear a slap now that i thought was the STS until i shot a bare shaft and the slap went away.
I soaked the Biscuit in Armor All last night and drenched my fletchings today and now finally the noise level between bare shaft and fletched arrow is about the same.
I still think it was quiter with the Drop zone though.
I did remove one of my slight twang makers by dousing a non-pivoting bolt with thick string waxon my new Vital bow gear slider.
I slowly took it apart piece by pice until I found a bolt with course threads that had too much slack in it allowing it to buzz between the nut & bolt.

I guess the next move is listening to the bow while someone else shoots it.

I'll say this, it is way quieter than my neighbors recurve- but still not as quiet as it could be= silentj/k.

BTW one of my bosses brought his old bow out to work for me to evaluate. Old bear looking wood riser job. After seeing itI will no longer be so anal about my rigs if that bow used to harvest deer. OMG I can't believe how far we have come! ~ 30% letoff, no wall- pull until you reach your DL, 900" long, both cams rubbing the limbs- whow was it a sight.
I bet it had more than a slight twang!
Old 08-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you hear when you shoot???
I always hear the Jimi Hendrix rendition of The Star Spangled Banner when I shoot , but that's just me. People tell me I have issues.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:31 PM

A good test for bow noise is too hold the bow firmly by the handle and gently tap the limb. You can pin-point exactly where the noise is coming from. Don't whack it hard, a gentle tap will reveal any loose parts if there are any.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shot my hunting bow for the first time out of doors today at a 3D shoot and was actually quite surprised with how quiet it really was. My shooting partner commented on as much even though I had not mentioned anything at the time.

Inside it definitely sounds louder.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:07 PM

I hear a slight "thunk" and then a thwack after my deer gets shot!
Old 08-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

a tiny "fwap" kinda sound.. about the equivilent to a whisper in volume. Most of that comes from my drop away hitting the shelf.

Quick Reply: What do you hear when you shoot???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.