Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Shoot
38.78%
Don't Shoot
61.22%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Shoot or don't Shoot.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Shoot or don't Shoot.

Your in your treestand on the last day of your hunt. Its about 1 hour before dark and the wind is calm. Suddenly a nice four year old buck steps out at 40 yards. He headed your way when he gets a wif of your sent and turns to leave. Its a strong quartering away shot and this could be your last shot at a buck for the year. Do you shoot or don't shoot. The deer is standing, But you can tell that he's about to bolt.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:23 PM

Default RE: Shoot or don't Shoot.

I don't shoot. 40 yards is beyond my self imposed limit.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope...30 yds is my max.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

A 40 yard shot on a moving deer??? No way.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

If the deer was standing sill he is dead. Walking I would let him go.

So far my farthest shot I have had to shoot was only 27 yards. So I am not A arrow flinger.But I do target shoot out to 80 yards. I allso shoot a 94# mathews safari.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:35 PM

I would, I've shot up to 60 with my BowTech. I do have 80 pound draw though so that helps. The buck I shot at at that distance was a trophy. I was having a problem with my fletchings catching my drop away and slowing the arrow down the week before. Got it fixed the day before the hunt and didn't realize that little bit of less drag would increase my distance. Judged it perfectly at 60 yards but my arrow went an inch over his back, perfect left and right. My whole setup is based on distance and i'm accurate up to my limits.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:40 PM

I guess it all really depends on how confident you are with your shooting ability.I would shoot.Had this happen to me before and he is still on my wall.scored 141 nice 11 pointer.he was 37 yards away to be exact.Led him just a tad and let the arrow fly.Got a double lung shot.Like I said it is how confident you are with your bow.I practice regularly at 40 to 50 yards.My favorite stand is set up in a spot where I very rarely get a close 20-30 yard shot.I practice my long shots almost on a daily basis.More so then I do short shots.I also use 4 pins on my bow just for the longer distances.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nope 25 yards is my max. I good broadside standing shot only.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:59 PM

No I wouldnt shoot, Ive made my max between 25-30 yards no farther for me.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:13 PM

No brainer....DON'T SHOOT....First of all the deer is 40yds away and that in itself on a whitetail is a stretch for me..2nd and most important in your scenario the buck has already winded you and is on high alert and about to bolt...Alot can happen on a alert deer at 40yds between the time you release your arrow and when it actually gets there.Might have a 4 year old buck with a sore rump

Quick Reply: Shoot or don't Shoot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.