Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Shoot
38.78%
Don't Shoot
61.22%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Shoot or don't Shoot.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shoot or don't Shoot.

This year, I'll take a 30 yard shot, but no more.
That's my limit because I haven't had the time to tweak with broadheads out that far.

With a standing deer, calm wind, good light, and a quartering away shot, I'd take it if not for the fine tuning issue.
I'm keeping good groups out that far this year.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tuffbroadhead

Nope no shot, I can make 50 yard shots all day, but simply would not risk wounding a animal. ALERTED DEER at 40 yards hard 1/4 no way I would shoot....he will hear your bow and move, but how much who knows...still no shot....
Same for me...
Old 08-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

40 yards at a slow pace he is dead. My Bowtech Samson is 97# and I practice up to 70 yards. If I can get the pin on him he's dead.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tuffbroadhead

Nope no shot, I can make 50 yard shots all day, but simply would not risk wounding a animal. ALERTED DEER at 40 yards hard 1/4 no way I would shoot....he will hear your bow and move, but how much who knows...still no shot....
Exactly.

Making a 40yd shot isn't really that difficult. It's what can go wrong that hurts. I passed that EXACT scenario on the biggest buck I've ever seen hunting. He was 35, and in the exact posture you said. Didn't shoot, and don't regret it a bit. Yep I would have loved to have taken him...he was a pope for sure(which is real rare where I hunt) but too much risk, didn't want to wound such a nice deer.

IMO, it comes down more so to personal ethics than skill. The 40yd shot ain't that hard.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

I would not shoot: 1. He is too far for me, 30 yards is my limit. 2. He is alert from winding you and 3. It is a steep quartering away shot, too much of a chance of glancing off the ribs it would have to be tucked right in behind the ribs for it to be a good shot. Too many variables against you!!!
Old 09-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

No way in Hell. Ive learned from experince same scenario.Never attempt it again over 30 yards.