Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow Noise?

Old 09-27-2002, 09:45 PM

Default Arrow Noise?

I had my brother shoot my Q2 the other day while I hid behind a truck about 5 yards down range. I was suprised that I could not here the bow go off at all. What I did here though was the suprisingly loud whistling and buzzing as my arrow flew past me. I'm sure my 5" helical feathers have a lot to do with the noise and am planning to switch to a drop-away rest and vanes next year. But how much of a factor do you guys think arrow noise is in deer "jumping the string"?

While the arrow whistling and buzzing seems like a less threating noise, it is no doubt louder than my bow itself. Also since I could here arrow noise throughout the entire flight of the arrow, from release to target, I believe the arrow noise could increase the tendency of a deer to jump the string. Any thoughts? I guess this all stems from a poor, but lethal shot I made on a 10 pt. last year. Despite dedicated practice, tight groups, and very good accuracy all summer, I shot high and spined the 10 pt. I couldn't believe I made such a poor shot. Do you think the arrow noise could have been a factor and he ducked the arrow?
Old 09-28-2002, 10:58 AM

Default RE: Arrow Noise?

I've never thought of the noise from the arrow but I too have stood about half way down range and heard what you are talking about. I didn't hear it the whole way though. Just within the few feet before during and after it passed me. The plastic fletchings may have something to do with it but I don't think you are going to do to much about it nor do I think you should worry too much about it. Maybe someone else knows more or has read an article about it. I can't believe I've never read an article in any magazine about this. Very good point. I'd like to hear other opinions on this.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:55 PM

yooper

I have used feathers for many years and have never had any experience where I concluded that noise created by feathers alone caused a miss or a hit where I was not aiming. However, when using feathers, helical will cause feathers to be louder. I suggest straight fletch or no more than a 1 or 2 degree offset.

Considering a deer's peripheral vision capability vs. yours, and that a deer uses and relies on its peripheral vision for survival purposes more than you do or can; and considering a deer's acute hearing ability vs. yours, do not dismiss that the buck might have visually detected a movement you made or that he might have heard a bow sound that you cannot hear or do not hear in the same decibel range.

No matter how quiet you believe your bow is, I doubt that your bow, or any bow, is so quiet that a deer does not detect string sound and/or sounds a bow might make. If a deer is on alert and standing on springs, he or she will bolt at a slighter sound than they would if somewhat relaxed.
Old 09-28-2002, 02:38 PM

What you need to do is go down by the target and either get behind a tree or somethin and then listen. A lot of times you can hear the arrow, but not till it gets close or goes past you. Thats what happens with me anyway.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Feathers are a little louder than vanes.

I have a buddy that swears a buck jumped the arrow and not the string and he switched to vanes.

If you are concerned I would go ahead and refletch my arrows now. I can think of nothing worse than having doubts about my equipment when standing at full draw with the pin on the vitals.

SF

Old 09-29-2002, 01:44 AM

My setup is almost silent. I use a moderate speed bow and heavy arrows (214 fps). I use 5" vanes. My first shot of the season was a miss at about 15yds and the deer didn't flinch until the arrow hit the brush behind it(about 30 yards away). I got busted by a second deer who saw me reload and never got the second shot.

There is no doubt in my mind that deer can hear the whoosh of an arrow go by ... if I can hear it, so can they. My theory has always been that deer can hear wind, falling acorns, falling branches, falling rocks, etc. If they are spooky - anything will scare them. If they are relaxed and eating (like mine was) they just go back to their activity.