Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scrapes? In august?

Old 08-26-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Scrapes? In august?

I went in to check my stealth cam yesterday and around a rubbed up tree there is a scrape. Its all torn up under an overhanging branch. hoof prints and all.. And there were like 3 of these things on the way in to my camera. I mean I have seen them scrape up around opening day (oct 1). Any of you seen stuff like this?
Old 08-26-2005, 12:09 PM

Default RE: Scrapes? In august?

wow never saw it that early same in western pa about end of sept to begining of oct is start to see them
Old 08-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have seen them in September but they are usually along field edges or changes from one style of habitat to another. I believe these to typically be territorial scrapes and not intended for the same purpose as those made for the rut.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:37 PM

I have read that early rubbing and scraping is indictative of mature bucks who are marking territory.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

I have read that early rubbing and scraping is indictative of mature bucks who are marking territory.
Lets hope that is true! Cause I hunt with Ccm352. I've seen some trailcam pics of nice bucks in the area. Only one "mature" buck that I saw so far and it's a monster.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: PSENJersey

PSENJ
I have heard just the opposite, usualy a young buck trying to figure out who he is will make early scrapes. You know they have been with the doe their entire life and now they realize they got something their mom doesn't.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

Sure your buddies dont have a deer leg,and are pulling yours?J/K.I don't know about PA,but where I am I have found them as early as aug,and as late as feb.But generally,around sept,and oct. is when they are worked the most.I have noticed some deer are just ahead of others.Some have browner coats now while some have red coats.Some have shed velvet already,and some may not shed velvetfor another month.I would think the deer that has done the scrapin has shed his velvet already,and is getting in the mood.Good luck to you.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:56 PM

I have seen a couple scrapes this early, but not very many, maybe its the big boy stalking you???
Old 08-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have found small little boundry scrapes in late sept but never in august. I am not saying itdoes not happen I just never seen it or heard of it. Does anyone else no where your camera is? It sounds more like someome is have fun with you but I hope not.
But if it is a deer doing it I would not put a lot of faith in these type scrapes this early in the season.(imo)
Old 08-26-2005, 03:10 PM

Well, I went to set-up my Trail Mac today in a tiny thicket that usually has ALOT of buck activity and sure enough, I found several scrapes and rubs on a trail that leads from the bedding right into a corn-field. There were several scrapes about 2-3 feet wide with licking branches and a couple rubbed trees. I'll check the camera in about a week and hopefully we'll see which buck left this sign. This is the thicket where I saw about a 150" buck a couple weeks ago.

Quick Reply: Scrapes? In august?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.