Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How lightly do you take missing?

Old 08-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How lightly do you take missing?

I missed 2 deer with a bow, and I have to say I took the misses pretty hard. These misses were the first two times I ever shot at deer with a bow, and they were about 15 years ago. Neither of those shots should have been misses, and today NO WAY would they have been. Anyway, I took the second miss so hard, I put my bow away for 12 years. I just started up bowhunting again afew years back, but I'm hopeful this year is gonna be a good one for me.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:29 PM

I makes me litterally sick to my stomach.It reminds me of my first miss with a bow.It was 3 years after I started bow hunting.This buck was staying inside the woods about 20 yards I had my stand at the edge and didnt have a clear lane to him.I took my climber in that afternoon went up checked for limbs got rid of 2 and then I waited.He was a beautiful 10 pointer.Well I missed a tiny tree branch I couldnt even see.Arrow was flying straight5 for him and then ping and down into the ground it went.2 years later as in last year.I see him again and get a shot.I judged him for 22 yrads.He was almost 30 when I used the range fiunder after I shot directly under him.I dont know what it is with this buck but the old man that wishes for him to live just loves that I havent gotten him yet.He lets me hunt his place but is on the side of that buck.This year I am hopefully ready for him.I have my stand set and him pinned down to 2 different spots he comes out of the woods one is 10 yards and the other is forty.So his 160+ will hopefully grace my wall this spring.IF i dont miss him again.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's easier for me to get over a clean miss than it is a poor hit. Even if I recover the animal it still bothers me.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:54 PM

It depends on the deer. Only missed one last year, but when i missed i started laughing cause it was a younger deer and the reaction was hilarious. I remember missing the first deer though, and i was crushed.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:08 PM

Just something to throw in here...

Do you feel worse when you miss a buck than you do when you miss a doe?
Old 08-25-2005, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

Not very seriously...... I haven't missed though in atleast8 years...... I really can't remember the last deer I missed.........

I take that back, I missed a buck 4 years ago........ I was easing down a trail looking for tree when I heard a buck grunting....... I look and here comes a nice 8pt chasing 3 does...... I miss at 25yds...... I climbed a tree right there and right at dark another 8pt came through and I connected.....

I've missed 4 bucks, 2 dinks when I first started and 2 pretty good 16 inch 8pts... Does.......... I guess I've missed 2 or 3........
Old 08-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heck, it still bothers me!!!

Last season, I had an beautiful 8 pointer right ...there... 20 yards away! He was spooked on public land because of other hunters. I heard him come in leaping over the trail and into the trees behind me. I quietly turned around and there he was, on full alert, all senses at 100% peak. When he bent down to sniff the ground, I drew back and was shaking so bad, my heart was pounding in my head,and I was trying not to pee my pants! [:-] Long story short, I ended up sailing the arrow right over his back - partly because he jumped the string - he crouched down like a cat the very micro-second I hit the release. The he leaped into the air and sprung about 5 feet forwardand took off at Mach IV. This big 8 pointer were right there at 20 yards, and I missed.... It such a great opportunity, and I probably freaked out too badly too. But it still bothers me that I missed. Now I look at it like a great lesson to learn and to keep calm and stay focused. Absolutely DO NOT look at the size of the tines of the antlers... As soon as I did that, I thought I was going to have a heart attack! I mean, you literally start shaking, your heart in pounding loudly in your head, and you feel the sweat run all the way down your back into your butt crack!!!! That is what happens when you get all freaked out over a big buck... Trust me....

This year I will be more focused and will be more calm. This year I will find that 8 pointer and take him!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh gosh, you have no ideal how badI feel when it comes down to the actual moment only to not be able to capatalize on the moment. Its like you rehearse all year long and then the moment comes for you to be in your glory, and I mean a monster comes in, its finally final exam time, for some reason, for whatever, a freakey thing happens that would never happen usually and your oppurtunity is gone, oh geez, I feel like throwing up, or maybe someone hitting me in the stomach, I want to cry but the tears don't come,damn, I can't even move and I'm totally numb, andits not because its 20 below temps. I'm ready to die, the only thing I think I may be good at, I let myself down. The thing about it is, is it comes back and haunts you, time after time
But to answer your question, I take it very, very serious as that is my time to shine, or not.

Bobby <-------------ELITE 8 REPEAT-------------<<<
Old 08-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: JeramyK

It's easier for me to get over a clean miss than it is a poor hit. Even if I recover the animal it still bothers me.
Funny you should say that, a few years ago I had a very unsuspecting doe about 35yds away. I had a great shot and she was just standing there. Well I drew back and let it fly.....................nothing! and I mean nothing. The deer was still there and not alarmed one bit. I almost had to chuckle at the situation I was so shocked. I put another arrow on and made a great shot she ran about 75yds and died.

To this day I have NO CLUE where that arrow went, I never found it. But it really didn't bother me, I don't know why it just didn't. Now if I had hit her in the arse that would have bugged the sh!t out of me, go figure.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:34 PM

I would rather miss than wound a deer.. But if I happen to miss which I havent done now in like 5-6 years knock on wood, I generally yell the "F" word.

Quick Reply: How lightly do you take missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.