Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bear baiting

Old 08-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default bear baiting

I have an outfitter I like to go fishing w/ in Canada, but he doesn't do hunts. I was considering booking a fishing trip next spring and trying to combine it w/ a bear hunt. He has indicated it is no problem to get tags. The area is a remote flyin with NO hunting pressure. There are bears that come around the lodge from time to time. It could be a great chance for a large bear. Has anyone tried baiting their own bears when you have only one week in the area? What could I have the outfitter do for the week or so before I get there to enhance my chances?
Old 08-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bear baiting

I have a farm and kill a bear every year with the same method. I usually only have 3 or 4 days at a clip so I have tried various methods. Use to use the corn and apples. I have found that placing a can of sardines in a fork of a tree and letting the wind carry the sent works also. But fo rthe past several years I have done this:

But a sterno...one of those heating ones that they use in buffet trays. Cut a soda can in half and fill it with honey. Light the sterno and place the honey on top to boil. In 30 min. a bear will be there.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

Thats sounds to good to be true. I will have to give that a try next year. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

I've used this idea for years and never had a bear come in that quick. Look for one of the sterno stove tops.All it is is a metal ring that fits on the top of the sterno can so you can place a can on top of it. This helps channel the heat up to the bottom on the burn can. I always use a small Planters peanut can that I've burned the label off of. You don't want that smell ruining your hunt. I pour about an inch of honey into the bottom and let it burn. The honey will boil and get real think and puff out whiffs of burnt honey. Only problem we've had in the past is yellow jackets coming around after the honey has cooled down. Watch out!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Spike

Deer Quest Products has "Smokin' Sticks" for deer, hogs and bears. I have only used the product for the deer and have had great success. The idea is that an animal responds to chemicals/scents. I've had does come right in to the curiosity scent & bucks come right to the sexual scent, so I'd say the bear scent would be worth a try. All you do is light the stick and it will burn like a punk stick. It will smoke for 3-4 hours and the scent is strong. You can smell it for a 100 yards or more, so I'd guess an animal could probably pick it up from 1/4 to 1/2 mile.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:14 PM

i would have the outfiter start setting out some baits before u get there use wat these guys have mentioned and the bears should start a daily pattern to the baits.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:07 PM

We went on a bear hunt in manitoba and are guide there would fill 55 gallon drums with barleyorwhatevergrains that he could get and then smother it in grease that he get for free from the local resturonts. The bears love it, But he said if you realy want to bring a bear running to slice open a beaver and let it lie. He said they can't rezist a fresh beaver and with 25 years bear hunting expierence i would tend to believe him.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:58 PM

i just got done running bear baits a couple of days ago, what a blast!! anyways you can use just about anything for bait we used corn, apples, cookies, bread, and liquid sugar, and carmel. we had some good sized bears coming in i am talking like 450+lbs. bears. good luck