Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

who has the best foul weather story???

Old 09-27-2002, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default who has the best foul weather story???

can you imagine, today has been long looked forward too, from the last day last year till now, all psyched up and hurricane remnants all day and 20-30 mph winds tomorrow!! you talk about let down! i quess sunday morning is calm and pleasant!! does anyone have a great foul weather story to tell,,,, you know one of those days where youre tossing a coin whether to go out or not,,,, please pick up my spirits w/ a good pouring rain 12 pt story or your best! ive never had any luck in the bad weather!
Old 09-27-2002, 07:27 PM

Default RE: who has the best foul weather story???

I remember about 10 yrs ago when I was out bowhunting in the rain. I heard a rifle go off about 400 yds from my stand. A few minutes later, 3 does came running by my stand. The 3rd one went 50 yds past my stand, stopped, stood for a little while looking back where she came. Since it was Nov, I thought maybe a buck is with them. I turned my head 180 degrees and lo and behold, a nice 8 pt came through straight to my stand. It got to my tree and I had to look between my legs down to watch it. When I leaned my head over to see it, rain had made a puddle in my hood and it dripped on the bucks back. It jumped and ran about 15 yds away. It's head was behind a tree when I drew and I completely missed low under the chest. I kick myself, but that was my 1st year bowhunting. It was fun....
Old 09-27-2002, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

actually i have a foul weather story now that i think about it, it was about5 years ago, i think my 1st year also,,,,, it was late in the season in upstate,ny it was icy cold, i mean cold, colder than i ever remember and sundown, i had a stand in a crabapple thicket, i had maybe 10 minutes left, and i see a doe, now this is dec 15th or so, snow ,wind etc!! she walks right towards me 20 yards, so i say ill take her cause we are bow only here and i was a novice, not like im still not but, i see an 8 following,,, im shivering freezing and buck fever i dont know where im going and all of a sudden 2 cross country skiers appear, dont see me or the deer and the deer retreat in there tracks!!!! man was i "hot" pun intended! lets hear some more!!
Old 09-27-2002, 08:34 PM

i've got one,here a few years aggo it was the day before gun season started,to warm to snow but the wind was blowing about 30 miles an hour and was in the upper thirties and rainiing like a son of a gun.i had hunted all morning and had not seen sguat,i headed back to town to get some lunch and dry clothes,and just as i drove off i noticed a small buck and and looked like two does and then one of the does raised it's head and was a nice buck.well i stopped and turned around and starting putting the stalk on them at 12 noon sharp,i crawled through ditches fields and at three i was within 80 yards of them and they either sensed me or decided to move.they moved about 250 yards down into a railroad ditch.i back tracked my way out and started all over again and at four oclock i was within 100 yards of them and starting the final stalk wet,muddy,frozen i crawled up to the fence and slid through a hole and raised my head up and not more than five feet away was the little buck and we looked at each other for a second and he was gone running right past the big buck and doe another fifty yards down the fence line.the big buck stood up and watched the little buck run by him and then looked back at me and then at the little buck again,well at this point i was cold and wet i figured i had blew it.the buck layed back down in the same spot and i took off crawling again at 5:20 i raised up 10 yards from him and thumped him in his bed. it is a buck and a hunt i will never forget,since i couldn't get him out in time for the check station and since it was midnight before we got him out,i went out gun hunting the next morning and i will be danged if i didn't kill an even bigger buck at 8 am so here i was with two 140 glass bucks in my truck and they were both mine was i ever happy had a hell of a cold but i was happy.
Old 09-27-2002, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one, even though it didn't turn out like i wanted it to. I hunted my grandparents spot last year for the first time, and saw several bucks but didn't get an arrow off at them. So the next morning I went out. It was freezing rain, and really cold, but worst of all it was so dark that it was hard to see through my sight pins. Sure enough a big buck came right down the trail of the stand I was on, I drew back and look through the sights. It was probably a good hour after sunrise and I still couldn't see the fiber optics sights very well. So I was in full draw for about 10-15 seconds with a big buck about 12-15 yards away from me broadside, but I didn't shoot. Instead the buck saw my and took off. I wasn't %100 sure on the shot placement so I didn't take it. Boy I wish the weather was better, I know I would've bagged that buck oherwise, but hey bucks will still move in the bad weather, thats the good side.
Visit My Hunting Page

Edited by - kshunter on 09/28/2002 00:55:31
Old 09-28-2002, 07:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-04-2002, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

cmon guys, everone has a foul weather story, any story we dont care!!
Old 10-04-2002, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

Well I have one, It was about 5 yrs ago and I had just started hunting this new state property. My buddy was on one side of the road and I was on the other. Well I hunted that morning and didnt see anything and it rained all morning long, about 10:00 I pulled my stand out and I decided to go back to the truck. after 1/2 hour I thought to myself Im gonna walk in the side my buddy was on to see if I could find an area that I could put my stand for an afternoon hunt, or a future hunt. Well I knew he was down this one road so I keep straight. I worked threw this area an came to a split on a loggong road or firebreak. I decided to go left, I was taking my time and moving slow with a arrow nocked just in case. All of a sudden a doe come busting threw the woods and was hauling tail. I knew I didnt jump her and the way she was running she wasnt spooked by me. I thought to myself watch a buck step and about that time there he was about 15 yds in front of me. Ill never forget it it was the biggest whitetail ive seen hunting. he stepped out and was just dripping wet, his mouth was open and he was just a huffing, He had a real wide rack and tall and was just as dark as those canadian bucks. looked like choclate. well I had the arrow already nocked and I didnt take my eye off him. it was like the showdown in the wild west. he had one leg straight out and was just looking right at me waiting for me to make a move. I clipped my release on and pulled back. when I did he jumped clear over a brush pile that was about 10 ft tall and ran back into the woods. I just stood there like WOW what just happened, I didnt move a muscle I watched him go into the woods and then stop he turned around to check me out. then the doe came back into the picture and they dissapeared into the woods. Its times like that that u want to keep to yourself. Ive never told anyone except my pops and yall. If you go telling your buds and word gets out... then you know what will happen. Good Luck to all this year