Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ethical thing to do

Old 08-24-2005, 12:38 PM

Default ethical thing to do

made a new friend last year who wanted to take up hunting. bought a new bow and treestand. i tryed to help him with basic shooting form and stressed to him the importance of practice and being able to place a clran shot .went through last season hunting with him and although he saw a lot of deer at close range never got of a shot. luckily a year has went by and its only a few weeks until opening day he has callrd me wanting to hunt with me agaim this season. i asked if he had been shooting and he sard he was going yo start went shooting with him yesterday and he still cant even get a 10 inch group at 20 yards. hes a nice guy and i would like to hunt with him this year buy i sure domy want to feel responsible for him crippling deer on the property i hunt.i go to the range by my house sometimes and see a lot of guys who cant shoot worth a darn but are ready to hit the woods scary should i take my friend hunting even though he doesnt seem to be willing to put the time in practicimg. or tell him hes not welcome to hunt with me this year
Old 08-24-2005, 12:45 PM

Default RE: ethical thing to do

I say no or if you must put him in a tree that no deer ever walk by but themoment you do that he will wound a 200 inch buck good luck???
Old 08-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

Nope! Tell him flat out that he's not going. If it were me, that's what I would say. Can't even shoot 10" groups at 20 yards? IMO...that's pretty bad.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

I'd tell him flat out that you are concerned. Tell him just what you told us, you are worried about him wounding game, because he is not accurate.

I'd tell him that you are certainly interested in going hunting with him, if he can prove that he can get better groupings consistently.

Maybe by October, he will have progressed.imporoved to the point where you feel comfortable taking him hunting. That way, there is still plenty of season left.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree that the right thing to do is probably express your concerns. If he is a true friend then he will understand and work with you on his problem.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:54 PM

You've become in essence a coach, so as a coach, keep him on the bench until he's ready and keep encouraging him to get himself 'fit' for the 'game'.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:11 PM

i usually have the same responce with my students the first year theystart to shoota bow. through out the class they realize the importance of ethics and morals and would never concider trying to hunt with a group that is not worthy.
a 10 inch group isn`t all that bad if it is consistant. it sounds to me like he needs education on how to improve his ability and perhaps even fine tuning the bow.

stear him in the direction of a profesional or at least someone willing to teach more then the basics. then give him a day in the woods hunting small game to keep his interest in bow hunting. he will see the difference in shooting a target compared to an animal. more then likely the idea of hunting big game will be a reality check when he can`t hitgame at a more relaxedstate.

telling him he can not hunt with you because he is not good enough, may make him go anyway with out you or with someone else of his ability or worse.

educate the kids fully before you turn them away.

PT
Old 08-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with the others And if I might add to it by saying sence he is your friend let him know just how passionate you are about hunting and that he needs to take bowhunting more serious himselfby practicing a little while longer just in case he in fact gets a shot at a deer that he can put the arrow where it needs to be. Yes it is fun but there is much responsibilty that go`s along with it. And remind him in a friendly kind of way that these will not befoam targets he will be shootingat out there they will bereal live breathing animals.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try and help him out. See what he's doing right andwrong. Make sure his set up is OK. He shouldbe able to group decent with a little work.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

I have several freinds that are new to hunting and bowhunting in general, I tell all of them from the beginning, no practice, no consistancy, NO HUNTING..

I'm pretty blunt with them about it also, I wont sugar coat it, I go out of my way to help them and to build there confidence, but if they wont help themselves I'm not taking them hunting. If you show me you want it bad enough and practice and get good, LETS GO HUNTING>>>

Quick Reply: ethical thing to do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.