Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question!- What arrow speed for crossbow for deer?

Old 08-23-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Question!- What arrow speed for crossbow for deer?

Hi all. I am wanting to get into archery for deer. I have arthritis in my left shoulder making it painful to draw a compound bow. I needd to buy a crossbow. What arrow speed should I look for and would you archery hunters advise me on a good sight?
Thanks
okcmco
Old 08-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question!- What arrow speed for crossbow for deer?

Painful to draw any weight?
Old 08-23-2005, 06:56 PM

Dairy King. It is a 55 lb pull and it hurts like hell. It is not even very comfortable to support my 8 lb bolt action with my left hand. Actually my pain comes and goes and is worse now because I have been on tour with a band and have been sleeping in a van alot. But when I go hunting, I don't usually get to sleep on a good matress either, so I can expect that and the cold to make it hurt.
okcmco
Old 08-23-2005, 07:03 PM

Call doctor love
Old 08-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ohh..alright...I was thinking maybe you couldnt draw very much weight, except like 50lbs or somethin. I was gonna suggest an Oneida. Most people whos never shot an Oneida, pull a 60lbs bow, and think, 50lbs, right? But, nevermind I guess...Hopeyou find one and back a good one this fall!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think that just about any of the crossbows on the market produce sufficient arrow speed for deer. I would guess the average speed to be around 300 fps with many close to the 340 to 350 fps mark.

My piddly ol' Barnett only shoots 260 and I have not doubts about its effectiveness out to about 25 yards.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

My 150# crossbow can hit speeds of 215 FPS , my 180# hits 235 FPS . Both have red dot sights , although I'm changing the 180# to a crossbow reticle scope . Most of the lower end crossbows are well under 300 FPS , higher end ones like Excalibur and Ten Point will deliver much higher speeds . Any crossbow of legal draw weight will achieve more than sufficient speed and energy for passthroughs at ranges up to 30 yards . Bolts lose energy faster than arrows though , so keep your shot range under 40 yards . Be sure to buy a drawing device since you have shoulder problems , they come in either a rope/pulley system or crank mechanism .
Old 08-24-2005, 07:09 AM

my wife and I are both unable to shoot regular compounds. we have xbows.

the Barnett Quad 400 is what we shoot( it is adversided to shoot 345 FPS.)and have had no problems with shots to 30 yards.(thats my max) just me.with the speed we have I hav hot had a deer move till it hits.they don't try to jump.it hits befor they know it.
she has the crank cocking devise, works good for her.toy can get the package for around $300.00,thats everything except the cocking devise.
Barnett has a great warrenty,just call and they will respond with all the help you need.at least thats been my experence with them.
good luck with what ever you get.
one thing xbows are heavy and combersum,so be aware of that.