Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scentlok Savanna

Old 08-24-2005, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scentlok Savanna

To your second point, activated carbon has been tested around the world for water filtration, chemical filtering, insoles, and an array of other scientific and commercial industries. These are industries that are completely independent of ours and their testing data shows that activated carbon can adsorb odor and molecules.
No one doubts the adsorbing part at least intially. It's the what to do when it rapily becomes saturated part that's the problem..

I was a LevelIII surface water treament plant operator for many years.In fact Iran my home towns water treatment plant. A position that required me to obtain a degree in Water Chemistry which I completed in 1987. We used activated carbon filters in the water purification process and I am quite familiar with the basic principles of this material. Activated carbon can not be reactivated or 90 percent regenerated by a common household dryer and I would love to see a link to a credible scientific study that says otherwise. In fact in the terms reactivation and regeneration are used in basically an interchangable fashion within the carbon reactivation industry although there are some minor technical differences. For example reactivation which is usually done in a low oxygen atmosphere at a temp of 1400 degrees will almost always produce measurable changes in pore structure, due to an additional oxidative sculpturing of the carbon surface. While some regeneration canbe obtainedthrough the use of intense scaldingly hot steam to simply convert type II receptor sites to less active but functional type I receptor sites. In either case however we are talking about temps hell and gone above what a household dryer is capable of producing. Why on earth would any company suffer the enormous expense of sendingsaturated carbon back to one of the many companies out there in the business of reactivating it if they could obtain 80 to 90 percent regeneration by merely subjecting it to the heat level of a household dryer? They would have to be idiots. And they're not.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

Hey boys, let's not totally distroy his product and run him off, I think it's great that we have someone from the company on the forum who can answer some questions maybe not all but who can. Let's try to keep him here!!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

I too would like to know what kind of life to expect from my scent-lok clothing. This season will be my 4th season with mine and I wash & dry it probably 5-7 times each season.
Is it time for a new one? ( I do believe they work)
How do I know when it is time for a new one?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:58 AM
Dominant Buck

MJR...don't worry about it. It's as good as it was 3 years ago.[&:] The deer that didn't smell you last year still won't.[8D] The problem being with these things, they wear out real fast. Throw in an accidental dose of sweat, fatty acids, oils etc etc and it's shot. IT may beable to purge itself of some "Scent molecules" but it can't get rid of non-volitile substances that vaporize at a much higher temperature than you get from a home dryer. Hunt the wind and be happy. And such things as Scentlok boots are a total waste of money. All it does is add another 50-75 dollars to the cost. As you may have guessed, I come from the Atlasman School of Science. I used activated carbon for 30 years in the dry cleaning industry. I wouldn't count on it to last long as a scent eliminator. Hunt the wind Grasshopper.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:50 AM

The whole selling point to me on a Scentlok suit is because not only one but 3 different, experienced bowhunters, with many trophy kills on their wall told me that without a doubt the suit makes a difference. They were positively sure that less deer winded them than should have like they would have in their old camo. I don't need all the fancy stats and polls and studies. You give me 2 or 3 hunters I respect reccommend something that is gonna give me an edge on a mature buck and you can bet I am gonna try my best to use one myself. By the way for all you guys knocking the suits...Have you ever even used one?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:37 AM

1. No we are not going to publish the raw data as some information in that would break confidentiality agreements. Sorry.

2. Again the chart on our science page shows that. We did not alter the look of the data, just made it simpler to read and omitted any items related to confidentality.

3. Who would fund it. Our product is not a matter of public safety. I don't care to convince you as your mind is already made up. You chose your lone opinions and a "scientific" expiemenrt that holds no scientific merit. Why would I lie, to sell one suit to a guy that has his mind made up well before this conversation? I don't think so.

4. Headspace GMCS is the method of testing. I have listed the equipment for you to try it at home if you please.

5. They published a book that outlined the system for measurment and how to isolate the chemicals coming off a human body. "Biochemical Applications of Mass Spectrometry" Good read! We took their information and subjucted our products for measurement.

6. Another way to put is say the sponge wipes up yellow liquid. Then you wring out the sponge and yellow liquid comes out. Now the sponge is 85% dry. Next you wipe up blue liquid. Wring it out and not the liquid coming out is green. Not fully blue not fully yellow but a blue-green. Same principle.

7. Actually lab testing is a far cry from dogs in a field. We measure tiny amounts of molecules with errors virtually nonexistent. Your repors states a 10-20% variance. WOW! In the labe we tested it in a drying chamber because of the small quantities we are using. However we have sent in test samples from an array of sources and got basically the same results in a plus or minus 2.5% area. If you want to obsess over your lint trap instead of practicing your shot go ahead.

8. Your writer definately had intrest in the subject. He is a "canine expert" dabbeling in carbon technology. Why is that. Oh I see in paragraph three his writing sure sounds pretty bias. But again I am done arguing this point because there is no scientific merit to this article.

Lastly, from all your previous posts you have you mind made up. So I am going to exit my conversation with you. I have listed the lab equipment and methods for duplicating the tests; also I don't think anything, including showing you the tests, and jeopardizing our relationships in various industries, we run in labs around the world would change that. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:46 AM

The length of a suit has to do with washings not regeneration cycles. Out to twenty washings you are good to go, after that point we start seeing a falll off in effrectivness. I would not wear a suit past twenty three to twenty five washings. Yes, sweat and fats do not always come fully out after total saturation, this is a great time to wash it. In Louisana humidity and heat after a week I wash it. That short of period is the shortest timespan that I have ever had to wash it. People in high temperature areas of the country, need to wash theirs three to four times a season average. For us upin the northern and midwestern states twice is sufficient.

Again, as I have posted before. With proper care an activated carbon suit's fabric construction would wear out before the carbon is rendered ineffective.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:57 AM

Todd1700,

I see you have some history with activated carbon, and thanks for the post. You bring up a good point but in your line of work, it is a matter of public safety and they takes every percaution to ensure total reactivation.

We are talking the difference between washing dishes in a dishwasher and using an autoclave system to do surgery.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:22 AM

i purchased a scent lok suit last season and saw more deer up close than ever before. many of them directly downwind, none of them spooked or blew.if tou havent tryed it dont badmouth it
Old 08-24-2005, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the suppot all of you. It's good to hear from ya and I sure know how you guys get attacked on this board. Good Luck and Good Hunting!

Quick Reply: Scentlok Savanna

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.