Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How did you get hooked on bowhunting

Old 08-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default How did you get hooked on bowhunting

I got hooked the firstday of 2003 Pa archery season. I was setting in my stand for about two hours andi hadseen some deer pass about 100 yards down the hill from my spot. Then about ten minutes latertwo does and a small 3 point walked right under my stand. This was my first time hunting from a tree stand and i found it amazing how close i was to the deer. I didnt shoot one of the does or the buck because i was waiting for a tirdy point buck . I didnt shoot one in archery and i wished hadnt of passed the three pointer up. But in rifle season i shot my first buck a wide 6 pointer. Then last archery season I shot my second buck and first deer with a bow. It was a 8 pointer, he wasnt huge but the feeling of shooting something with a bow was so fullfilling. And now im hooked for life!!!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How did you get hooked on bowhunting

when i shot my first deer..but ive always loved hunting..and deer hunting but i wanted more after that
Old 08-22-2005, 04:14 PM

Ive always loved hunting. But last fall my friend let me shoot his bow and I was hooked, this season will be my first bow hunting season.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I stalked and killed a sparrow in my grampa's garden with the selfbow he made for my 3rd birthday in 1955. It was all over for me at that point.[&:] I did a lot of small game bowhunting on the farm. Lots of rabbits fell to my arrows. And prairie dogs. Grampa said that each one of them I shot was one less cow with a broken leg, so I was constantly after them. After sneaking up on prairie dogs all my life, sneaking up on deer was almost too easy.

I'd still much rather go rabbit hunting with my bow than deer hunting. It's a lot more fun. Lots more action, you don't have to hike a couple miles back into the boonies to do it and a bag of bunnies (and/or squirrels) is a lot easier to pack out.

Old 08-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, definitely sounds like you got hooked without much effort.

I got "rehooked" about 8 or 9 years ago when I boughta new bow. I spent so much time and energy then in scouting and learning as much as I could. It has paid off big time as I am fortunate enough to harvest at least one deer each year witha bow and that is an accomplishment in my book.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:38 PM

when i built my first bow as kid
Old 08-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

The buck in my avatar is the 8 pointer i shot with my bow.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:22 PM

How did I get hooked? Easy. I went.

That's all it took.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:24 PM

When my good friend mooseslayer3 took me practice shooting... and now Iam hooked
Old 08-22-2005, 06:36 PM

Well, I started back in college, and really enjoyed it but found I did not have enough time to practice and I have too much respect to just wound anmimals so I gave it up. About 9 years later, after finishing my masters degree, I decided I needed some "me" time and picked up my old bow again. Started shooting it and realized that I still had the love of the bow, but it did not fit me right. I have since bought a new one and practice every chance I get. I have not had the privilge of taking a deer yet, but I took a turkey this last spring. Yep...I am definitely hooked!

Quick Reply: How did you get hooked on bowhunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.