Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting my daughter into archery - need advice

Old 08-22-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Getting my daughter into archery - need advice

Hey all,

At what age is it good to get a kid into archery? My daughter is 4 and LOVES to shoot with her old man. She gets real excited about being next to me when I shoot and then pulling the arrows from the target, then carrying them back to my shooting spot. She has the total aptitude and desire to do things like this.

My question is, when is a good age to get a little one like that a bow? Just any experinces or advice you may have I would appreciate it. I am very concerned about letting her grow into it (ie..WANTING to do it) versus me forcing my passion for archery/hunting on her.

Thanks all!
Old 08-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Getting my daughter into archery - need advice

Well, my son started at age six and has progressed every year. I would suggest getting her a selfbow or a fiberglass bow to begin with. You can usually get one in 7-8 pound range. When we first started, his arrows couldn't even stick in a bag target. You may want to get some 2" insulation. They're fairly cheap. Here he is at age ten shooting a Bear Bearcat at 25 pounds (it actually used to be my mothers bow when she shot competition, my wife shoots it now). The bow is 66" long and he is 54" tall. His regular bow is a 20# selfbow hickory/cherry.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

My boy was just under 4 when he started to shoot his bow.He now gose out most days to shoot [with or with out me] He will be 5 in not to long. My little girl is only 2 but she allso gose out with us to shoot.We all go out even wife :}My boys arrows will just bearly stick in target. He is getting prity good.He is allmost 10 feet away from the target now
Old 08-31-2005, 04:59 AM

Just let her go at her own pace and most of all keep it fun..I really blew it and didn't know it until it after> I got frustrated with my daughter out in the woods because she was not in the mood to be serious. After a few times of her not wanting to go, we had a heart to heart and she told me it wasn't worthit for her. That made me realize what a jerk I was and how selfishI was. Justkeep it fun.... Out of all the good times we had, One bad one... can ruin all the good ones.
My wife says she was always concerned about her wanting to hunting by herself.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started my oldest son when he was 4.I got him one of those red fiberglass $10.00 bows and he shot the heck out of it--then my second oldest started using it and he shot the heck out of it!Little kids don't need anything fancy(that's just for the parents bragging rights!)
Old 08-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started taking my son to the range with me when he was 3. I bought hima Golden Eagle Lil Brave for his 5th b-day and he really enjoys shooting. The best advice that I can give you is BE PATIENT.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

My little girl likes to watch me shoot and pull arrows for me.
She'll be3 next month, and says she wants to shoot too.
I just bought her a tiny used bow so she can join me.

I hope she loves it like I do.

The foam target is a good idea. Any arrows will stick.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had my boy shootin at 4! He too progressed very well and now has incredible groups for a 9 year old. The thing to remember is to let her have fun and push it. After a few years she'll be pushing you to get out there and fling some arrows. This is all my son wants to do is go out and shoot! Good luck and enjoy this great pastime with your daughter!