Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting distance?

Old 08-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: shooting distance?

I think that an actual 30 yard distance is a fine one to set for yourself in a hunting situation. As the others made mention to there are many factors that differentiate a practice situation from a hunting one. Getting as close as you can without being detected is the name of the game. Don't risk anything that you aren't capable of making.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:41 PM

Alot of things can happen within 30yds. even with the fastest bows. I try and keep it to 20, 25yds with 30 being MAX with a deer that is not spooky and very relaxed. I've had too many F@#$#@ up things happen to chance a long shot. Deer can do amazing things when they know something is amiss.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

i have a lil range set up in my backyard... a couple stands as well as a ground blind...i have targets marked from 10yrds to 40yds throughtout the yard but realistically i wouldn't shoot over 30 and that would be pushing it.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

i've only ever shotdeer from the ground though....i was wondering if wat my uncle says is true that shooting from a stand at a target or deeris different then from the ground that from the tree u tend to hit higher....so once again any of ur opinions or comments would be helpful...thanx ...
If you are keeping perfect form when shooting from elevated stands, the difference will not be much at 30 yards. However, keeping form is not easy when shooting down, so many do have to aim a bit lower. What mainly happens is that an idividual will drop the bow arm, which is a no-no. Try to always remember that at full draw, your shoulders, both arms, and arrow need to be parellel. If you do that, everything will fall into place, and it will force you to bend at the waist.