Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bears Vs Deer

Old 08-21-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Bears Vs Deer

Alot of you have seen my previous post "bears everywhere" showing pics of a total bear hotspot. After looking at the pics hundreds of times and pondering for a while a lightbulb went off (I'm alittle slow sometimes). With all these bears in the area will deer still frequent it or go scarce?? I've never hunted an area with quite so many bears so I have nothing to compare to. A buddy of mine has been hunting around this same spotfor a couple years and has seen a few good bucks in there, but never so many bears. I'm gettin alittle worried. There seems to be deer sign, but I'm not getting any deer pictures.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Bears Vs Deer

I can only tell you from my experience of hunting in far northern Wisconsin years ago. We saw a whole lot of bear and a whole lot of deer at the same time. So I would say, unless the bearare in the area at the time you are hunting, the deer should still be there. Same goes with coyotes. I hear them all around in some of the areas I hunt and I still see deer.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the UP of Michigan where I am from/hunt there are a huge number of bears but they really don't affect hunting a great deal unless they are in the area at the same time. Now, heavy bear activity may be a different story, but some isolated incidents of a bear coming through shouldn't be too much to worry about.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:56 AM

My openning weekend spot is on an Oak Ridge in Northern WI. Every year I see alot of deer there. This past year I had a Sow and 2 cubs come in both days, and I didn't see one deer. I blamed it on the bears.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I cannot imagine it would be a major hinderance. I hunt several areas where there are plenty of bears and it doesn't seem to majorly affect the deer routes or population.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:46 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well my ole pappy always told me that where you see deer tracks ....means therehave been some deer there so Im just bettin that if your seeing deer sign then I betcha there are some deer amongst dem dar bears ;&gt)

DD