Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bowhunting Black Hills SD?????

Old 08-21-2005, 09:11 AM

Default bowhunting Black Hills SD?????

I am planning a trip to go bowhunting in the Black Hills... I am from Central AR and just wanted to go to another state and bowhunt this year... didn't want to hire a guide, just wanted a do it yourself trip.. and SD is one of the few states out west that does not require a draw to get bowhunting license.... does anybody know anybody that has hunted there before.. I have never been there and am going in with no knowledge of the area, and am hoping that I have made a good decision... been doing a little research on the area, but it sure would be nice to talk to somebody that has been there before....
Old 08-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bowhunting Black Hills SD?????

We were in the Black Hills two weeks ago and I fell in love with the area. I don't know ofspecific hunting opportunities in the Black Hills (I'm sure there are plenty) but I can recommend an outstanding bowhunting opportunity due north in the Badlands of North Dakota. Check out the Loggiing Camp Ranch near Bowman, ND......
http://www.loggingcampranch.com/
We stayed there for four days attending a reunion and got to know the owner, John Hanson. He has a great place to hunt....bowhunting only. Trophy whitetails, mule deer and bison are plentiful. Kill a bison they'll process it and load it in your truck while you watch. His place has all kinds of history....he has many relics of General Custers troops camping on the river there and they camped there on their way to Little Big Horn. RIP
Beautiful area of North Dakota and people are great....almost as friendly as us Texans.
South Dakota great too. Much to see and do....of course you must see Mt. Rushmore. Here is a MUST SEE......go from Mt. Rushmore to the Crazy Horse Memorial and check it out. Go see the video presentation in the museum/visitors center area and you will get an idea of the magnitude of the Crazy Horse project. They will superimpose Mt. Rushmore on Crazy Horses head....you will know what I'm talking about.
I could go on for hours....I'll spare you..
Old 08-21-2005, 08:30 PM

chessie, i live 20 min. from south dakota, i will be hunting the black hills again this year. if u need a couple areas just P.M. me and i can help you.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted the wyoming side of the blackhills, actually took my first buck there when I was 14. Just east of the Wyoming border is excellent, there is plenty of public land to hunt there. Some towns close to the border are Hulett and Sundance. Also do not be afraid to ask landowners to hunt their property, I have had lots of opportunities this way.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:23 PM

i think that it would be hard to hunt the hills because there are trees every where but very few place to put a productive stand site but i have saw homemade treestands out there around waterholes when i was out there hunting turkeys this spring but of the subject im going archery hunting turkeys out in the hill '06
Old 09-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

i turkey hunt out there and there should be no reason reason why ya cant see a bunch of deer we were seeing 100+ animals a day
Old 09-14-2005, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was in the Hills turkey hunting this spring also, deer everywhere. I've never heard of any "monster" bucks being shot in the hills, I think the population is way out of wack to grow big bucks. This is just my humble opinion of deer hunting out there, it wouldn't be hard to stick a deer though!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:18 PM

I use to hunt around the Sturgis area, I am not sure if there is any public land or anything. There are a lot of deer, some good size ones to too, its not uncommon to run into 150"+ deer. I would go through a guide though, they have some of the best tracts of land there and will put you on some deer. The guides names are Bob Parson, and Dan Hefner (I think thats his last name) operate Oyster Mtn. Outfitters, they put me on a lot of deer, I harvested 2 130"+ in 2 yrs. They offer bowhunting and rifle hunting as well asturkey hunting. I thought they were reasonably priced too. They have like 3000acres or something like that.