Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead Performance Database (Please discuss)

Old 08-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Broadhead Performance Database (Please discuss)

We have come a long way as bowhunters in understanding broadheads and their performance as it relates to our individual set-ups and game pursued. Currently there is a better selection of quality broadheads available to us than at any other time in history….. in fact I’d say we are in the middle of a broadhead explosion.
We have even been given great information to make informed decisions in the form of sites like “5 Shot”s broadheadtests.com and through discussion on these forums.

I would like to take a shot at moving this information a step further……a running thread that will be pinned to the top starting in September that we can add actual on game broadhead performance. A “Database” of sorts where we can see exactly how different broadheads perform on an individual basis, based upon type of game Vs. bow performance.

What I had in mind was a type of form that each member who adds to the thread can “Cut and paste” from the initial post and then simply fill in the blanks. Then we as members can breeze through it and see exactly how various broadheads are working under real world hunting conditions.

Something like:

Broadhead Make and Model-
Number of blades-
Cutting Diameter-
Fletch style and length-
Total Arrow weight-
Total Arrow speed-
Kinetic Energy-
Animal Harvested-
Animal size/weight-
Shot Distance-
Stand height-
Entry Wound Location (exact)-
Entry Wound Diameter-
Exit Wound Location (exact if passthru)-
Exit Wound Diameter-
Broadhead condition after the shot-

(And the first person who lists Entry and Exit through BOTH shoulders w/ a 100gr Muzzy from a stand height of 20ft is getting banned forever.)

What do you guys think of this idea?……….Something worth trying?
What information would you add to the database?
And the big question………..Are pictures of the entry and exit wounds appropriate for such a database!?[:-]

I’d like to get some quality feedback on the idea before I decide to pin a Thread (database) to the top on Sept1

Please discuss!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:46 AM

Default RE: Broadhead Performance Database (Please discuss)

I think its a great idea, and I would like to see the pics of the shot.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:02 AM

i`m in, i`ll be putting magnuss snuffers thruogh deer with an older hoyt at 75 pounds.

pics will be available if so voted.

PT
Old 08-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no problem with pictures as long as they are "clean". What I'm talking about is no gorey guts or lungs or livers hanging out of exit wounds, minimal amount of blood, etc. If at all possible clean up both entry and exit wounds with some water, perhaps even cape the deer and take some good photos.

Much like taking trophy shots post-hunt, there is a right way and a wrong way to do it and we just need to be careful.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:17 AM

Sounds like a great idea to see if there is anything out there that can make a hunting set up better. As long as everyone tells the truth then it should work great.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think this would be a great thread. It would give info on the most scientific and ethical killing broadhead on the market by the hunters that use them after all thats what we are all after right? I think the pics of the entry and exit wounds would be a must to do this thread right. But I would use extrem caution andinforce that these type pics be taken seriously and notand be given anyone ammo or the wrong idea why this type thread is being conducted after all we are not out to shoot our self in the foot with this thingor trying to gross anyone out.
Every yr there are hunters every where not sure what type head they need to be using mech or fixed, How much K.Ethats needed to do the jobright for what ever game they are afteror anything else this would narrow down the very elite few heads on the market and cut back of hopefully some of the junk being used due to poor designs(imo)..
Old 08-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the concept is a great one. Whether or not a person can keep it factual may be another matter. Case in point, one of the latter posts on the Addressing the "small" broadhead comments in the Bowhunting Gear Review Forumconcerning a 67 yard shot.

(And the first person who lists Entry and Exit through BOTH shoulders w/ a 100gr Muzzy from a stand height of 20ft is getting banned forever.)
...Now that is funny, I don't care who you are!!!Those words express my concerns in reference to my above comment.

Someone once said " a picture is worth a thousand words". I think that would be a great addition to the database if for nothing else to lend credence to the printed description. It can easily be tastefully done. Usually the "gore" comes from the face of the animal anyway (blood running from the mouth and nostrils, tongue hanging out etc.).

If I were to include one more thing it would be shot angle. While a picture or thedescription of entrance and exit woundsmay address this issue for the most part it can get confusing unless definitively pinned down. For example a quartering to shot (a real world close range shot )may be interpretedor look likea quartering away shot. Of course again we are relying on the honesty of the participants to give factual information.

If the information is factual it is valuable.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think its a great idea. Assuming people don't exaggerate, I think you can get a true to life performance rating. About the only thing unaccounted for is how well the shooter's bow is tuned.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think we will have to STRESS accurate anatomical information with respect to shot placement.......I can't tell you how many times I hear the BOTH shoulders thing from all shot angles.

There's a lot of upper leg muscle that has nothing to do with the actual shoulder blade. They see a hole in the back of the upper leg and automatically assume thehead smashed through shoulder blade.

Unless you are shooting a magic arrow you are not shooting through both shoulder BLADES from an elevated position, and to shoot through both actual blades from a broadside positionwould bean impressive feat of arrow/broadhead physics.[:-]

Pics of the actual "post butchering" bone structure that wasaffected would be MOST helpful.

This is the stuff we need to talk about if we're gonna try this, still unsure if it will go over or not, but it DOES seem like it might be worthwhile.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt you are so right. I can't even begin to count how many times I've heard people talk about shots and the organs hit, that just anatomically isn't possible from the angles they stated, if at all. Butchering one's own deer is a very educational experience.

Quick Reply: Broadhead Performance Database (Please discuss)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.