Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Land owners just a little to Greedy

Old 08-18-2005, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Land owners just a little to Greedy

I wouldn't either but the expectation that someone should give you something for free does IMO.
Right or wrong, if you HAVE been given something for free your entire life, and then all in a sudden are expectedto pay for it, it puts an ill feeling in your gut.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I think is sad is when someone tries to tell someone else what they should do with their land. The fact that you've got to hunt for free doesn't mean that you're always get to hunt for free. If you don't want to pay the price go knocking on doors to try and get some more free land to hunt or try some of your states public land. It kills me that people think that unless you have a big peice of private land to hunt that you can't hunt. I spend about 90% of my hunting time on public land. Now granted I've not killed any Pope & Young bucks but that's my choice. I don't hold out for one.But the bottom line is if it's the land owners land he can do and charge what he pleases for it and you can either pay it or move on. You have NO right to be pissed off.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:48 AM

I have found that by asking permission in a respectful way gets me acess about 1/2 the time or a lead on another piece that I may be able to hunt. I have watched a dozen guys pull up and ask for permission while I have been sitting on the porch of 2 different farms I hunt, and can honestly say that over 1/2 of those guys should have stayed in the truck. I've seen them pull up with beers in their hands, approach with an arrogant attitude or pissed off because they are expecting to be denied before they ask. The truth is... it isn't just 1% of hunters are bad apples. That number is at least 10%, as it is in all cross sections of people. I know many hunters who are "good guys" most of the time who have done things that would get them booted from prime hunting property.

I think as hunters we should appreciate that many pieces of private property already have hunters using the land, and not wanting to add more isn't necesarily a bad thing on the land owners part.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:49 AM

A landowner can do whatever they wish with their land - its their right. TThey have bought it and are paying for it. They don't 'owe' anyone anything.

Ifyou want the luxury of hunting another person's land then perhaps you need to consider buying some of your own for that purpose.

When you are dependant on someone else's land to hunt thats what you have to endure for not having your OWN land to hunt on.

It'd be the same as letting a stranger use your 4x4, ATV, etc.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:53 AM

5 yrs ago my cousin hunting in southern NY (on their own land) was shot and killed by a fellow hunter/friend. While this was during gun season - issues like this still worry landowners whom have much invested in their homes and land to risk a mishap and a lawsuit.

"Sad - but true..." (as Metallica once said!)
Old 08-18-2005, 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: sneekky

Its it just me or the land owners now adays want you to pay them to hunt when years previous they let a guy hunt for half the meet or to just help him control some of the crop damage? What happend to the good ole days when a guy would let ya hunt and didnt ask you for 500 to 1000$ to kill a deer? Its pretty sad that landowners have done this.There are thousands of guys and gals that cant afford to pay that kind money to do something the love and then forced to get elbow to elbow on public land.Now before every land owner trys to freak out and yell at me iam not saying all landowners just several in ohio that i have visited this year all seem to want big money from a guy to kill a deer.Its just sad to see our sport get turned in this direction.
Supply and demand brother. Supply and demand.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer

I have problems finding places to hunt in my area. Many places have deer and they actually complain about all their trees and bushes being eatin, And they themselves dont hunt.And wont let no one else hunt. And if they do they have their hands in your wallet.
I hate this kind of landowner. If they want to complain about the deer then do something about.
I am lucky most landowner in my area will let you hunt for free. Several will even say kill as many as you can. One landowner last year told me I had to kill at least 3-deer. I had 6-deer tags in my pocket so I said no problem. I killed 4-deer on her land. She did not charge me anything orwant any deer meat. I did give her some alaskan king salmon & halibut this summer after I got back from alaska.
She told me to come back again this year & kill at least3-deer. I am going to take her up on her offer.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Someone said that it is probably 10% of the hunters that are bad apples instead of 1%. I definately agree. Let's look at another aspect of greed that causes landowners to charge or consider the ability of charging anyway. How many times have I heard or known of farms or ranches that were once open to anyone who would kindly ask permission. Then something else happens. A group of hunters that discovers the piece of land suddenly approaches the landowner and offers him money to lease his land so thatTHEY can keep others off. All because they didn't want to share or couldn't take the competition. What would you do as that landowner? Take the money. Then what once was a harmonious place between respectful hunters and a generous landowner becomes corrupted by the greed of other hunters who had some cash to throw around. Suddenly that rancher tells his neighbor about leasing and so on and so on. Hunters vs hunters in this case.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then what once was a harmonious place between respectful hunters and a generous landowner becomes corrupted by the greed of other hunters who had some cash to throw around. Suddenly that rancher tells his neighbor about leasing and so on and so on. Hunters vs hunters in this case.
Supply and demand brother. Supply and demand
With all the stuff that goes on in this world with folks(notice that I didn't say hunters)shooting at the first thing that moves and people drinking and hunting and taking unsafe shots etc., if you think I am going to apologize for being willing to lay out my hard earned cash for me and my family to be able to hunt ground that we know is safe and that we are the only ones on. Well you are SO wrong. So folks like me like to be able to control access to the land they are hunting and they like to be able to control what animals are taken off the property and the nutrition that is put into the property etc. and the only way to do that is to buy it or lease. If you aren't able to do that or you aren't willing to do that then be prepared to hunt public ground. That's what it's there for. If you can cut it hunting private ground with lots of pressure then you can cut it hunting public ground with lots of pressure, right? I went to college and got a degree and sent my wife back to get her masters sowe could get jobs that would allow us toafford to go on hunts or lease ground if I so choose. So I fail to see where the landowners or I are doing anything wrong. They have land that is being under utilized and they want to maximize their profits and I have money to spend on hunting and I try to maximize my time by hunting quality areas. Hunting means enough to me that I don't mind spending money to do it. You may not like it but that's the way it is.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

Then what once was a harmonious place between respectful hunters and a generous landowner becomes corrupted by the greed of other hunters who had some cash to throw around. Suddenly that rancher tells his neighbor about leasing and so on and so on. Hunters vs hunters in this case.
Supply and demand brother. Supply and demand
With all the stuff that goes on in this world with folks(notice that I didn't say hunters)shooting at the first thing that moves and people drinking and hunting and taking unsafe shots etc., if you think I am going to apologize for being willing to lay out my hard earned cash for me and my family to be able to hunt ground that we know is safe and that we are the only ones on. Well you are SO wrong. So folks like me like to be able to control access to the land they are hunting and they like to be able to control what animals are taken off the property and the nutrition that is put into the property etc. and the only way to do that is to buy it or lease. If you aren't able to do that or you aren't willing to do that then be prepared to hunt public ground. That's what it's there for. If you can cut it hunting private ground with lots of pressure then you can cut it hunting public ground with lots of pressure, right? I went to college and got a degree and sent my wife back to get her masters sowe could get jobs that would allow us toafford to go on hunts or lease ground if I so choose. So I fail to see where the landowners or I are doing anything wrong. They have land that is being under utilized and they want to maximize their profits and I have money to spend on hunting and I try to maximize my time by hunting quality areas. Hunting means enough to me that I don't mind spending money to do it. You may not like it but that's the way it is.

Where does it end??

I have plenty of money...........and spend plenty of money on hunting..........but there is a point where it becomes absurd. Those guys I spoke of earlier are paying almost $2,000 to whack a few does and a couple small bucks. What's next?? someone else comes in and offers $2,500.......then $3,000........then $4,000??...........$10,000??

We frequently have threads bashing people that pay big money to go to an outfitter and bag a deer for the wall.

How is this any different?? (Forget the fence issue..........I just mean the concept)

Quick Reply: Land owners just a little to Greedy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.