Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how far is too far

Old 08-17-2005, 10:04 PM

Default how far is too far

ive been practicing alot! and feel comfortable out to about 40 yds.I have stacked arrows out to 50+. no one in the southis cool with thatdistance for hunting shots. whats the general consensus. how far will carbon with 100 gr broadheads still carry enough energy to be quick and humane.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: how far is too far

Hi there, the farthest you want to shoot is as far as what you are comfortable with and accurate with and the ability to take clean shots. Along with the abilty of your bow setup to provide amble kenetic energy at the farthest distance you plan to shoot. I do not reccommend shooting at an animal at more than 60 yards. Most bow hunters that I have met will not shoot over 40 yards. I have taken elk with the closest being 10 yards and the farthest at 20 yards. Deer at as close as 20 yards and as far as 62 yards. The other side of the coin is you must practice, practice, practice, and then prctice some more.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:08 AM

anything you havent practiced all year long for and anything you just dont feel comfortable with IMO is to far
Old 08-18-2005, 06:43 AM

if you have to ask it's probabely tooooo faaaar.............
Old 08-18-2005, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bees: thats a good answer

To me atleast: Isn't archery a game of how close we can get the animal??? It make me laugh how all the time people are seeing how far the animal can be and still be able to shoot it. Archers have a special connection with the game they pursue, simply because they work hard to get into the animal's mind and figure out exactly where it is going and try to set-up for the closest shot possible on it.

I understand that sometime everything doesn't work out and the ever-so cautious deer takes the wrong trail and ends up 42 yds out instead of the perfered 18. But, thats why they call it hunting. I think instead of trying to improve their shooting so they archer can simply shoot the deer, he/she should work more on trying to better their choice of ambush to bring the deer in for an ultra-close shot situation.

Not trying to rip on you personally, just expressing my view on the general question. I personally don't think I will take a shot at any animal with my bow past 30 yds. If I can't get closer than that to them, then they have my blessing to live another day.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

An archer strives to make accurate shots at increasingly longer distances , bow hunters strive for the most certain shot at the shortest distance that the game will allow .

Just because you can stack 'em at 50 yards doesn't mean it's a good idea to try it on a living thing . Anything can go wrong in the time it takes the arrow to close the gap , why add to the risk ?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:30 AM

I do not take shots passed 30 yards.I also try to impress that on my wife.I have ranged sites around her tripod , marked 30 and she doesn't shoot past that.
she only hunts the two stands.she can't climb any others.we both can take 30's with no problem. me I can stack at 40 to 45;but want shot that far at game. thats just me.others that can and do shot relyy good past that,then thats them.

what ever you feel that you can make and do it every time,then thats what you need to stick to. a good clean and humane kill is whats it's all about.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:41 AM

Anything past 30 yards is too far IMO. I am sure a high percentage of guys here can make shots farther then that but when you get out that far so many variables beyond your control come into play that it is just not worth the risk. JMO
Old 08-18-2005, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion is that anything over 35 yards is a questionable shot. I shoot competition to yardages out to 60 yards with consistency. But there are too many variables once you get past 35 yards. Target movement, unseen limbs or branches and the possibility of a poor release make a longer shot questionable. Out to 25 yard you can be off your aiming point by a small margin and still make a fatal shot. Beyond 25 yards there are just too many factors that come into play for an ethical shot.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:50 AM

I agree that 35 yards is the max. I practice at long distances because i believe it makes the 20 - 30 yard shot easier. I believe thats why most archers practic up to 50 - 60 yards. It isn't that they have any intention and taking game at that distance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.