Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cheap Digital Cam

Old 08-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cheap Digital Cam

How far away were they?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:45 PM

From 5 to 30 feet I guess. I haveclose to 60 photos from May till now ofthe same doe andshe keeps coming back. I know it's her cause she has a black tail.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

YOUR BEST BET is to get one from EBAY.

I recently purchased a used "homebrew" camera. for $200 ..it seems takes good pics, and I'd didn't have to take the time to build it myself.. I will post sample in a few weeks of this camera.

I also have a LEAF RIVER digital, and you can see sample photos from that camera at my link below:

http://community.webshots.com/album/421379033ESonub

If you are set on finding the cheapest camera, then you will end up with the cheapest result...poor pictures, and short battery times.

I think the general consensus is that the MOULTRIE takes a ok picture, has decent battery life, and wake up time. If you're lucky on EBAY, you can get 3 of those for under $300 bucks!

But I will tell you, it is ADDICTIVE!!!

Last year I bought my first ever trail camera in October ...the cheapestSTEALTH 35mm on the market. Within 2 weeks, I had 2 more, and by themiddle of November I had added a LEAF RIVER digital camera.

This summer I picked up a SNAPSHOT SNIPER digital camera, 2 - CREEK BOTTOM digital cameras, and the previously mentioned "Homebrew" camera. (The "homebrew" uses an OLYMPUS D-370 digital camera, and the other 3 use a SONY P-41 digital camera)

That makes 8 total game/trail cameras in 1 year.

My next step, is to start building them for myself. There are many self help links out there.

Good luck...
Old 08-18-2005, 06:09 PM

Another vote for the Moultrie. I have two and have several hunred pics with them.
No problems with them so far.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Someone was posting pics using that Wildview .3 megapixel camera and I was surprised. They actually weren't that bad in quality. Not crystal clear as mentioned but definitely worth the price in my opinion.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Only problem with the Wildview is the slow trigger time and weak flash. Mine misses more deer than it gets. Have a Cuddeback and love it, just bought a Moultrie at wally World price was right.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:21 AM

I have the wildview, one set of batteris lasts about one month, mine took about 400 pictures in that month and about 1/2 of those were at night. So the battery life is better than expected from 4 C cells. the camera can hold about 40 pictures on it's highest resolution with it's internal memory. the camera will accept an SD external memory card. I purchased two 128 meg which will hold over 1000 pictures each. I also purchased a card reader to download the cards into a computer. the two cards and the reader was and additional 70 dollars.
This camera is a .3 mega pixel camera, which means the photos are ok in normal size, 3 x 4. you cannot expand them larger without pixalation problems. In terms of mega pixels, the more mega pixels you have, the better the quality and the more enlargment you can do before the pixalation can be seen.
there is no Time and Day provision with this camera.
the flash on the camera is good at about 20 feet, if the deer are at 30 feet the picture will be dark.
All in All the camera has worked very well, the pictures are accpetable to see what is going on in the woods. Miss the day and time stamp feature though.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

I just bought a Moultrie 1.3, Looks ok havent got any pics with it yet tho

The only thing that sucks is the straps are really crappy.

Jim
Old 08-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Yea, Moultries mounting "system" really sucks. Hope the camera preforms better.