Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scents and calling stratagies

Old 08-17-2005, 07:25 PM

Default scents and calling stratagies

started bow hunting last year and was a little skidish about calling,,i was wanting to try calling more this year and was wanting some tips and stratagies so i dont mess up too bad,,hopefuly i have a rattleing bag a seven in one call,(that will be set up for buck grunts primarly), and also have "the can" by primos, and help wou7ld be apprettated,,also was wanting to try out scents,,and was wondering about how to place these,,i will be hunting over a soybean field most of the season and was wondering about makeing mock scrapes and stuff like that,, i also have a bag of the keywicks and was wondering about where to place these any help would be much appreciated
[/align]
Old 08-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: scents and calling stratagies

hey silverhawk, i can't help you with all your questions there but i'll add what i can from my own personal experiences
as far as the calling...me and my buddy were set up on a point in WV one morning and had decided to try some tandem calling...whenever i did "The Can", he would do a couple grunts (he was about 60 yards north of me). well it was about 10:00 am when a 10 point comes walkin down my trail, right at me. i mean it was coming perfect. but for some reason it just stopped and started walkin away. well my buddy didn't even know the deer was in existance, and i wasn't thinking so when it started walkin away i turned the can over to get its attention. well when i did, joe let out a couple grunts on the tube. and let me tell you that buck didn't pay one bit of attention to the can, but he went on a B-line right towards joe when he grunted, i've never seen a deer react like that, it was neat. well no one ended up shootin it lol another one got away
but anyways i thought u might want to hear that. this buck ignored the can, but went on a dead sprint to the grunt tube... just two short little grunts was all it took
of course it was in the peak of the rut
anyways, hope this helps at least a little bit....best of luck to ya!
Old 08-18-2005, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: scents and calling stratagies

This site helped me with the calling aspects:

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/deergrunting/deergrunt.html