Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When is too late to set up bow stand??

Old 08-17-2005, 12:04 PM

Default When is too late to set up bow stand??

This is my first year to bow hunt. I am fairly new to deer hunting, as well, so this question may seem stupid, but would rather throw out the stupid question and get my first bow kill than throw the doughnut this year.

My gun area/feeder seems to be a pretty good/active spot for deer activity, but to put a ladder stand close to my feeder, I may have to make minor altercations to the tree close enough to put me in bow range, in order to put up the stand, cleara couple shooting alleys. When is too late to make those altercations? I'm hunting the first week of november. Anything else to keep in mind for the novice? Any advice is appreciated as I am jazzed to get my first with a bow!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When is too late to set up bow stand??

Its never too late to put up a stand. If your thinking about putting the stand in the same area you should have no problem if your planning on hunting in November, especially if your hunting near a feeder. Just get in there and clear your spot, cutting somelanes, but not too many, and give it some time before you get in there to hunt. If you hunting near the feed, just let the feeder do its work and they will keep coming. If there are no adequate trees for the stand, hunt the travel lanes that lead into the area. One thing is for certain, you wont get your deer if your not in the woods, so get your stand up and good luck this season.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

It's too late when you get there without a stand on opening morning and realize you never hung your stand. Then and only then is it too late. But don't fret, you can go home, get your stand, go back and hang it.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:57 PM

well.. its too late when its 7am and you look out in the field and see three bruisers with the smallest being a 130" 8 point. Its too late to hang it quietly and try to get a shot at one of them.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ccm352

well.. its too late when its 7am and you look out in the field and see three bruisers with the smallest being a 130" 8 point. Its too late to hang it quietly and try to get a shot at one of them.
yeah that's what i was thinking. i use a climber so i set up again every morning.

but with ladder stands once i get them in a place i usually leave them. i don't use hang-ons so i can't help you with those.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

When it's too late is one issue, and that's up for debate. When is it too early? That's the better question. It's never too early. Get your butt out there, hack out some shooting lanes and get your stand ready now so you don't have to worry about it.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

It is never to late to put up a treestand although I would put it up before deer season starts. Some advice, you will like bowhunting better than gun when you start killing deer with your bow!
Old 08-17-2005, 02:08 PM

When is it too late? When hunting season is over, thenit's too late.

Another thing you could consider is instead of hanging a stand, try setting up a ground blind. You wouldn't have to do any trimming, and once the deer accept it, you can even move it around if you like. You could use it during gun season, too.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:12 PM

I agree with quiksilver. Get it up now and the deer will not pay any attention to itin November. With hang-on and climbing stands you can be much more mobile and setup the day you hunt as long as you are quiet and control your scent. With a ladder or tripod, set them up asap. I try to have my stand locations trimmed and ready in July or early August if at all possible. Just remember everything you touch leaves a scent.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've personally decided to change setups on a whim after a morning hunt, moved my stand in the afternoon, cut a few small lanes, and have taken deer that evening. Just as long as your as scent free as possible and do as little modifying as possible, I think you'll be alright.

Quick Reply: When is too late to set up bow stand??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.