Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial, question for Shed

Old 08-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial, question for Shed

Shed,
Thanks for the response. Again i agree with you in that even 1% is enough for me. But still explaining it is hard. It has been a few years since my Chem. classes but, carbon has four places for bonding, right...(granite they are not using a carbon -14 or -12) and even at say 125 degrees with motion...is that really enough to break those bonds? it was always my understanding that the bonds on a carbon molecule were VERY hard to break because of its stability...??? and yes i agree..if you can knock off the human scent..and if put into a scent free bag immediately and not opened until you are in the woods...it should be good to go..with lots of carbons ready to absorb our odors....but i am finding it hard to believe that the dryer takes away even 50% of the bonded human odor to the carbons....
Old 08-16-2005, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Josh,

here is what an expert says..... deer and deer hunting, june addition 2005

According to Dr. Shulong Li, and expert in carbon technology and textile applications he states that "regeneration is a way of removing absorbed molecules on active carbon...withoug going through the reactivation process"

"At temperatures under 130 degrees regeneration , including the removal of solvents, gasoline vapor, chloroform and methanol can all be purged at a low heat from activated carbon. "

Mybackground isbiology/kinesiology, I am not a chemist a nd will never claim to be, but I do understand the basic principles of this concept andand I leave it up to guys like Dr.Shulong Li who is an expert in his field to educate me.

He also goes onto say that the degree of regeneration depends on the chemical nature of the absorbed molecules, which makes sense. but most definately human scent can be purged at low heats like that of a dryer. He goes onto say "the dryer will certainly remove some contained molecules and it will remove any odor on the garmet."

thats good enough for me...
Old 08-16-2005, 06:33 PM

I just did a search for activated carbon regeneration. I got lots of hits for this. I read through a lot of them, and they ALL talk about regenerating carbon at low temps. It seems the most common purging technique is with steam, however hot air is also extremely popular. Here is just one of many links.

www.continentalremediation.com/faqac.htm

See if that helps any. I was sure, but now am absolutely convinced that the stuff works.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:44 PM

I believe in using scent lock, even though I don't have a suit. I however, do use scent free soap and deodorant and spray as much as posssible. For two seasons I used the poor mans scent lock, a mil surp chemical suit, and whenever I came home from hunting with it under my clothes, my dog would growl and bark at me. He only did it when I came home from hunting with carbon suit on and scent free sprays on. I believe it was because he couldn't smell me and thought I was a stranger even though he could see me, I didn't smell like me. Once I took the carbon off and put normal clothes on, he would act fine around me. Also, he never barked or growled at me at any other time.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Bartender

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm

Peak