Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Steel Force Whistle

Old 08-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Steel Force Whistle

I finally made the switch over to carbon arrows and also installed a whisker bisquit. Both seen to be doing great and I am pleased. Problem is my Steel Force Broadheads now whistle on their way to the target. Someone told me that it is because the arrows are flying faster then they did with the aluminum arrows. Is this true? Is there anything I can do about it?

WA Red Bear
Old 08-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Steel Force Whistle

Nope, they are pretty loud. But do awesome damage on deer.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

OH I know there cutting ability. I took my first bear with one two years ago. I pulled the bow and hit the bruin in the front leg. I missed the bones but I cut the artery and he bled out in 50 yards. I was sold on their ability right then and there. Thing is the broadhead didn't whistle with my aluminum arrows...at least I don't remember them singing.

Happy Hunting
Red Bear
Old 08-16-2005, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can try tweaking your bow's tune a tad better. When a broadhead whistles, it usually means it's flying at an angle to the wind resistance instead of straight into it.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

I also switched to a whisker bisquit this year. I had the bow paper tuned at the shop after they installed the bisquit. I would take it that it is tuned...or am I wrong?

Red Bear
Old 08-16-2005, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe, maybe not. The guy who tuned the bow got it tuned to him, not necessarily to you. No two people grip a bow exactly the same and that can make a big difference in how a bow tunes. Besides that, a paper tune really just gives you a basic starting point. More than likely, you've still got some fine tuning to do to get it just right for you. And you are the only one who can do that.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

I e-mail Steel Force yesterday and this was their reply...

We rarely hear of any noise issues - but when we do, it is normally an association between the head and the fletching. My guess is something's changed on your set up, but whistling isn't a common issue. [/align] I believe if you experiment with different vanes you will be able to eliminate it. If it makes you feel any better,noise associated with the arrow cannot be heard by the animal, the animal only hears string noise from the bow. The 'noise' associated with the arrow, is behind it.[/align] [/align] Hope this helps.[/align] [/align] Steel Force

Like I've stated...I went from aluminum arrows to carbon and I changed my rest to a whisker bisquit. What fine tuning do you think I need to do? My arrows seem to be shooting straight. By that I mean they are all hitting the target (20 yards out) at the same angle. Should I mess with it or leave it alone.

Red Bear
[/align]
Old 08-16-2005, 10:32 AM

Thats why i quit shooting them and went to magnus heads. Even though steel force makes a great head.I did everything and they were still so loud i just gave up.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine are quiet, I shoot the Hellfire 100s, which ones are you guys having problems with noise. My bow is well tuned.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

I bought these two years ago and they are the standard 125 grain smooth edge. The thing I noticed is that they have a cut-out in the blade and I bet that is what is causing the whistle. I bought another pack of them off of e-bay and they arrived last night. Difference is these are the Sabertooth model and they don't have a cut-out. I am going to shoot one this week to see if they whistle as well.

Red Bear