Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Timid Deer???

Old 08-11-2005, 07:22 AM

Default Timid Deer???

My question would have to be, are deer really as timid as we think?? I ask this because last year was my first year for bowhunting. It was opening day for gun season, and I had been in the stand for about4 hours or so. Naturally, your body gets stiff, and you have to stretch. Also, I am a smoker. So, I had been smoking that morning too. Now all the shows I've seen about bowhunting, say the quieter the better. And for the most part I agree. However, I'm up stretching and moving around a bit. Then I notice 3 doe approaching me. They're about 50 yards out. When the lead doe gets about 20 yards out, she notices me. Well, she starts stamping her hoof, and whatnot. But at the same time, she is constantly walking right at me. All this is happening while I'm still standing up and smoking!! I didnt dare sit down, for fear that I might spook them. Anyway, she gets about 10 yards away and I took her.(For those wondering why I took a doe, last year was my first year to deer hunt, considering I'm 30, and that was my first deer period, I'd agree thats kinda sad!! ) So anyway, the next day, same tree stand. Once again I'd get stiff and stand up. Wouldn't you know as soon as I get up, I see an 8 point buck standing about 30 yards away. He was looking right at me. So, I slowly sit back down, throw the cigarette out of my mouth, and wait to see what happens. Now according to the "experts" that buck should have bolted as soon as he saw me. He did just the opposite. He came to about 15 yards of where I was. Now, there wasnt much cover, so when I drew back, he was watching me the whole time. He never once even flinched. So, I took him. Now, my question is, why did two different deer, who are supposed to be timid, notice me and still keep coming at me?? I mean dont get me wrong, I wasnt up there having a party or anything, but I was being far from quiet. Did they just get curious, or what? I still dont get it. I wasnt wearing anything to cover my scent, so how come these deer just kept coming? Thats why I pose the question. Are they really as timid as we think, or are some of the high dollar products that are supposed to hide us, just a marketing gimmick? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am brand new to this site, and this forum. So please, if I've done something wrong, let me know. Thank you
Old 08-11-2005, 08:43 AM

Default RE: Timid Deer???

No one can say for certain how any one deer will react to any one situation. People in the know say most deer will do this or that, but the fact of the matter is they don't really know what the next deer will do. Just keep doing what your doing, when they start to bolt away, thenit's time to do something different, not before... Good luck..
Old 08-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do they see much pressure where you are hunting? Do many people in the area hunt from treestands? What did you name these deer when you were hand feeding them?Just kidding! Deer are individuals to be sure. Some are not so smart. My biggest question would be...What time of year? If there was some rutting activity going on this isn't too unusual. They do get a little distracted during the rut phases. Congrats on success and don't get spoiled by it. It will get alot more difficult at times to connect on a deer. I shot a buck on the very first day I ever bowhunted and have found out since then (20 years ago) that it does not always come so easy.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:54 PM

I appreciate your responses. As far as time of year goes, it was mid rut. I live in Western KY, and it was first of November or so. I realize that behavior isnt normal. The deer don't get alot of human contact though. I just figured that the smell of the smoke would have had atleast some affect on them. Guess I was wrong. Anyway, thanks for the input. Good luck this season. Ours starts in 3 weeks!! P.S. It was Bambi and Bucky!! lol
Old 08-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

FYI-smoke is a natural smell. I think a deer's reaction to cig smoke is overstated. I think it could actually act as a cover scent in some instances. I have seen tons of deer while smoking. If the deer can smell your smoke, they can certainly catch YOUR scent. With the wind in your favor, you could probably set off smoke bombs and still see deer.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:58 PM

This is why hunting is fun. Not every hunt is the same and these sort of experiences you detailed for us is another reason hunting is fun. Each deer will have it's own instincts and habits. It could be the deer just could not figure out who you were up in that tree. I could be that there was hunting pressure further back where these deer came from and they figured you posed a less of a threat than what might have been beyond.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad once had a doe startle him awake by sniffing the back of his head while he was leaning against his tree taking his customary mid-morning nap (ground hunting of course)! Scared him and the deer practically out of their skin!

The first deer I took was a doe that spent almost 15 minutes stomping andhuffing (I guess that's what you'd call it) at me about 30 yards away before I wasable to slowly getturnedaround and get my gun on her.

That's why I don'tput a lot of faith in the whole scent control thing. I think thatdeer only react to sudden changes in their environment, but quickly get accustomed to lingering scents andeither ignore them or even investigate them.

Mike
Old 08-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first deer I took was a doe that spent almost 15 minutes stomping andhuffing

Poor thing. That huffing can really mess you up. Was she using some kind of paint thinner or a glue of some sort? No wonder she couldn't scent you!
Old 08-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL! Maybe "snorting" is a better word. Don't know why I didn't use it to begin with!

Mike
Old 08-11-2005, 09:38 PM

Deer are just like humans as each and everyone has its own moods and temperments. I have had deer that as much as hear one little tiny thing out or the ordinary and they take off like a bolt of lightning, and i have had the oposite with me dropping something or making a sudden movement or sound and having them look at me and do nothing or come closer. Each one will do something diffrent thats for sure.

Good example. Last year on opening day I shot 2 does less than a min apart. I had 3 come in and the first one I shot took off of course and fell about 30 yards later. in the mean time one of the remaining deer took off for parts unknown but the 3rd ran from under my stand and stopped at 20 yards broadside. I decided to take her, At this point she is lookin up at me; she watches me take an arrow from my quiver, nock it draw aim and release. I watched her follow the arrow with her head until it slammed into her chest where she finally took off hauling A$$ for 40 yards before piling up. She never moved a muscle the whole time this was happening. That is a perfect example of how each deer will react diffrently in any given situation.

Quick Reply: Timid Deer???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.