Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Timid Deer???

Old 08-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Timid Deer???

Don't get too down on yourself for shooting a doe the first time. The first deer I shot "at" was a doe, but a stupid limb got in the way.If people say something about you taking a doe, they are pretty lame, don't think anything of it.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

The other day I was picking up my brothers try pod stand that he left on a tree line near my house. I was driving the four wheeler when I saw this doe about 400 yards across the cut wheat field.She proceeded to run right at me. I stopped the four wheeler. She ran to within 50 yards of me. Stared at me for a minute,Then headed back from where she came from. Things like that are pretty neat!!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:19 AM

This is easy.. you obviously just used up your "beginners luck"!
Old 08-13-2005, 07:59 PM

I appreciate everyones input. Its great to get different views and opinions on hunting experiences. I do have to agree that each deer is different. Like somebody said, I guess I just used up my begginers luck!! Anyway, like I said, thanks to everyone. Good luck this season. Almost here guys!!
Old 08-14-2005, 08:59 AM

Everybody's probably right. Deer have their own personalities. Where I live there's a lot of deer and they feed up at my neighbors fence about five yards away from it. He'll go out to the fenceline with a bucket of corn and peg them with it, and they don't even look up at it! However, some deer out here will bolt if they see you, and you won't see them again for awhile. Now that's taking it to extremes because they have a lot of human contact, but I'm sure that it relates somehow. As for the doe, don't feel ashamed or anything by it. Does in some cases are harder than bucks, they'll investigate what's happening instead of just sitting there if they've caught only a whif of something. If it was stomping it's leg at you, she was probably trying to trick you into moving so she could confirm it. But you said you were standing there smoking a cigarette, so I don't know. haha Maybe the doe was just the village idiot.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:11 AM

Lol, I think we have a winner. It had to be the village idiot!! I love it. Thanks for the input guys
Old 08-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

cool stories, and I have to agree with everyone, I was turkey hunting one fall, and had a fork horn buck come up to me and smell my boots, I wasn't wearing the traditional rubber ones. Anyway, he just stood there looking at me and sniffing my boots, crazzy, must have liked my socks or something.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

You just never know what a deer will do or how it will react to any specific situation. I do know that the words ALWAYS and NEVER simply do NOT apply to deer hunting. The animals themselves will always humble you.

I would suspect that based on your story, the deer you were speaking of and especially the buck, were young and inexperienced animals like yearlings/18 month olds.