Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

smoking or age?

Old 08-11-2005, 05:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: smoking or age?

I quit last year after smoking for 30 years , and it definitely has made a difference in my breathing . The last year that I smoked I couldn't climb hills without taking a break or two , and forget walking longer distances .
Old 08-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The thing is you should quit , and for good .
A report came out a couple years ago that said " pepole who exercise and smoke are healthyer , than pepole who dont excercise and dont smoke " . So start exerciseing every day allso , the arobic type excercise . Pepole who say I have and active life , or physical job arnt getting it , that does not count , and while lifting weights is good for you , you must do cardio work .
Old 08-11-2005, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: drstalker

I quit last year,but smoked mostly when I had a few beers,I used to smoke more than that,and each time I would try to quit I would fail.Also I chewed.My job is laborous,climbing poles, lifting heavy wire ,digging holes and such ;in the summer heat you wouldn't want to smoke much or you would have problems.I am tobacco free now and at a mere 43 years of age feel better than I have in years.Onbly thing that slows me now is my arthritis.
Hey dsstalker, I quit one month ago cold turkeyand already feel much better!Hope to see more deer this year also. Hey a are you an electric lineman or cable telephone. I was an electric lineman but now work inside as a power director in charge of the power grid. But on nice spring and fall days I miss climbing those 110 foot high transmission poles. It is great work! But I dont miss rubber gloves and sleeves on hot summer days.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:37 PM

of the 25 ppl on my lease i am the ONLY one that doesnt smoke. they all smoke on the stands while hunting, and everyone gets a deer atleast everyother year. Even in open stand, ladder stand and tree climbers. Id ont understand it, spend 100s of dollars on cover scents and what not, yet they sit out there smokeing a cig and still get as many deer as i do..... wierd
Old 08-13-2005, 02:40 PM

Never have, NEVER will. Both of my parents smoked. I watched my mom die of lung cancer at the age of 58,1 month before my first child was born 6 years ago. My dad haschronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema , and is on treatments, oxygen, etc. He can't walk across the room without losing his breath. 10 yrs ago they would have both said"won't happen to me". Honestly, I kinda feel sorry for smokers, especially those who really want to quit. It must be a really hard thing. My dad has quit several times, but always goes back. "like a dog after his own vomit". Oh well, If you smoke the day will come when you either quit or wish you had quit. Guaranteed. I guess it's true what they say - "If you smoke you will quit, one way or another" I know there are a lot of folks out there who really would like to quit. I'm rootin' for you , and you can do it!
And to all you younger folks out there - DON'T START!!! I promise you won't find one honest smoker that will EVER tell you they're glad they started. If they do they're lying. Also , the tobacco company execs don't care about your life at all. They want your money, even if they know it will kill you, but it's not all their fault. We're still responsible for our decisions!! Not trying to harp, I just want to encourage smokers to quit and non-smokers to not start, I know you can all win this fight!! Besides, wouldn't one more year in the bowhuntin' woodsbe worth it???

Good luck!!! -cap