Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do if PETA showed up?

Old 08-10-2005, 06:24 PM

Default RE: What would you do if PETA showed up?

Probably depends on how far they pushed it. I bet I wouldn't go out of my way to be nice. I'm a fairly calm person as far aggression goes, but I have a foul mouth and tend to raise my voice pretty easily. I'm not much of a fighter, but I like to argue sometimes.

I'd try to be polite about it to begin with and let them know I don't feel the same way they do. If they pushed it I would probably get nasty with them verbally. And I would let my game warden and the sherrif know about it. I don't carry a cell phone though so it's nothing I could right a way. I do carry a digitaly camera with sometimes.

If it was private property I might let the air out their tires if I could get away with it and wait for the cops to show up. Not slash the tires, just remove the valve stem cores. I have the tool in my car for it. I have done it with poachers before and didn't get in any trouble for it. The tow truck showed up at the same time the Game Warden did. Worked out well for him since he took thier vehicle any way.

Now if they damaged my car or any of my property I would probably end up in jail instead.

Paul
Old 08-10-2005, 06:58 PM

well I guess if it's after a kill, I'd hand them the saw and tell them it's their turn on the pelvis

other than that...try to handle it legally and not give them any PR at the emergency room after they get stitched....

seriously...I'm not loosing my job over some idiot. I have a right to protect my property and self, if it got to that point. To that point sit there and take it and wait for the sheriff to show up, since the town where i hunt is 15 min or so away

i'd hate to give them PR ammo by being a hothead or something...

Ken B
Old 08-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

I would say politely to leave me and my party alone or I'll disembowl them with a rusty butterknife and mail their entrails to their buddies at PETA with a note giving my love for them.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

call the cops and get as best a description of the people involved in the harassing. It is illegal and I get good phone service from my hunting spots so they'd be in trouble with the law.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

After I put on my best poker face, I would be polite and talk to them. Then I would turn the tables andplaymind games on them... They would end up feeling very foolishand would leave me alone.

What I would not do is "go off"on them and/or get violent, because that is what they want and live and breathe on that type of PR.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't have to do anything. The other fifty hunters that typically hunt within a hundred yards of me would probably take care of the situation.

Seriously, I would call the police just like everybody else...

...then afterwards I would talk to my buddy who is on the force about getting together later that evening and......

Old 08-10-2005, 08:43 PM

I have a short temper so I will let you imagine what I might do!
Old 08-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I always carry a cell phone. It's illegal here too. I'd call the cops.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the most important thing to do is keep from losing ones bearing in such a situation. Like a bully on a playground, they just want to get a rise out of the people they harass. If you react with anger or violence it plays right into their hands and reinforces their preconceved notion that hunters are violent, brutal barbarians that just want to inflict harm on anything they see.By remaining calm and collected and handling yourself in a more civil and dignified manner than they do will put them off balance because they won't expect such a reaction. Secondly, I'll ensure that not only will the law be on your side, and you won't end up sharing a cell with them when the law arrives, but it will also bode well for all of us with at least the local media.

The point is that we can't lower ourselves to their level or below, and sometimes the best solution is to just walk away and let law enforcement handle them. One can always hunt another day.

Mike
Old 08-10-2005, 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: HAZCON7

I would simply advise them of the Illinois law that makes it unlawful to interfere with the legal taking of game, then call the DNR if they didn't leave the area. Afterwards I'd ask them how many dead insects are on the windshield of their car, point, laugh, and call them murderers

Now that's funny

Quick Reply: What would you do if PETA showed up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.