Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sights?

Old 08-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sights?

I was shooting last night about 30 minutes before dusk and was having a hard time seeing the target with my 20 yard green pin. I have tru-glow sights whicharen't too expensive (maybe 30 bucks).I noticed thatI was able to see the target better with the 30 yard redpin.Isn't the green pin supposed to pick up more light during lower light situations.Also, what is the normal color scheme for 20, 30 and 40 yards? Maybe I have a cheap set-up. Any recommendations?
Old 08-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sights?

I tend to agree the red pin will show up at first light with the sights you have on now.I switched to the Sky light and let me tell you the pins are really bright. You can put them in any order you want as far as colors go. If your red pin shines first than put it on top.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Dominant Buck

I just replaced all my tru glow that I had in my hoyt rest with cobra pins. I did not like how thick the tru glow posts where. I replaced all my pins with all red cobra pins and can see the pin well. I was out yesterday and could see my pins in the shade clear up to sunset. The cobra pins are only 3 to 4 bucks a peace and you can get them just about any where. Just make sure to get the kind that fit the pin rest on the sight you are using.Cobra makes different sizes to accomidate the different rests. The pins are a little shorter, but you can simply adjust yoursights after replacing the pins. Just mark where your old pins were before you remove them, measure the differenc between the old pins and the new ones and adjust your windage that much and everything should be right on. That is if you dont like the pins you are using. If you are ok with them, Id simply replace the light colors with the color you see the best. I too have trouble seeing the lime green pins. I use all the same color. Its easy enough to know my top pin is 20 and the next 30 then 40 then 50. No problem with using the wrong pin, that is unless you have programed yourself to look for color rather than possition.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hmm, interesting observation. I typically see my yellow pins first then followed by the green then red. Typically most three pin sights are configured as green, yellow, red in descending order in terms of distance. I have never seen my red pin first. Normally I would suggest that it could be because of difference in an individual's eyes but I don't believe this to be the case when it comes to specific brightness levels of various colors in the spectrum.