Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Early Season Tactics?

Old 08-09-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Early Season Tactics?

what are your early season tactic for whitetail deer? My early bow season runs all through next month but i am unsure how to hunt it. I hear a lot of people talking about hunting food sources, but i have no idea where the deer's food sources are located, lol, its not like a corn field is somewhere near. There is a little creek down deep in the draw off the ridge that i mainly hunt. I am thinking about sitting up on the crest of the ridge thatone of thetrailsdownto the creek takes off... good idea or bad? How do you guys choose good early season spots?

Thanks,
Idaho Hunter
Old 08-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Early Season Tactics?

gotta be some acorns somewhere.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Around here, early season foods are, wild grapes, hawthornes, clover, some early white oaks, apple trees, and, of course, ag crops. Out on the state properties, they are out grazing the prairie plantings. Do some scouting. They have to be eating something. I like early seaon. The deer come out early, and are more relaxed.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:11 PM

www.mytopo.com

Pull up your hunting area, and find the funnels. Pinch points. Whatever you call them. Inside corners, saddles, and so on. Also from the overview you can see things you didn't see before.
As far as food sources go, I assume you don't live in farm country. Find persimon trees, the apple trees would be great.....they are eating something, I assure you. I would say not to hunt right on the food source, though. You can, but later in the year if that food source is still available, they won't feel safe there.
Early season is the best. IMO the first 3 or 4 days of season are your best shot at the big boy. They are in summer feeding patterns, incredibly predictable, and haven't been pressured since last season. If you use the wind right, don't let them know you are there, and set up on a trail or funnel leading to a food source......that's my idea of heaven.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get between the feeding and the bedding areas.....I dont care if there isnt a ag. field around those deer are still feeding somewhere on something.....morning noon and night.....get between them
Old 08-09-2005, 07:08 PM

Get a bulldozer and turn 90% of your woods into a food plot. That way you don't hve to do all thos enasty things like scouting and finding funnels or worrying about what they are eating. Then make sure you take along your trophy guide, and if he doesn't score 180, let him go. Someone will b e there to ridicule you if you don't, so if you don't have your current copy of the trophy guide, don't worry. They'll be sure to let you know . Then, also score him on yhe hoof befor etaking the shot. Check for flaws, any irregularities(make sure you set your restrictions on guaging for a 'shooter' buck before you go the woods, I mean food plot). You'd hate to get him on the ground just to be disappointed that he didn't 'measure up' to the tight industry standards! Sorry--a little tongue in cheek humor there! The previous posts have a pretty good take on what will make you sucessful.