Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calling Deer

Old 08-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Calling Deer

3 years ago during the rut here in MO. I watched a buck chase a doe for over an hour, when she finally had enough and started to leave, taken the nice buck with her, I waited untill they were out of sight and started rattleing, short bursts, about 5 seconds each for a total of 3 sessions, The buck came charging right back in looking for a fight. I couldn't shoot him for I had already taken a buck earlier, but shur was fun playing with him.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I seem to have better luck using scents, but I have called in a few deer over the years. What can I say, I've been playing in pee since I was a kid. It just comes naturally.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had a lot of success calling bucks. I don't get many does to come in at all. But for bucks, the last week of october and on into november I've had grat success. Grunts and the can call have work more often than not and I've had no negative responses, but sometimes they just flat out ignore it. My opinion on if they spook, you did something wrong in calling. Whether it was volume or timing or something. Sometimes I've seen bucks hear my calls and put thier nose to the air. They were up wind so they smelled nothing and never came in. I guess that just happens sometimes. Another poster was correct when he said about being in the open when calling, you want them to have to search for the 'deer' if they think they should be able to see it and can't , they'll be gone.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:36 PM

I have had limited success with rattling but I have seen the can work well and the grunt work great at times. I think sometimes these calls work better then most people think because alot of buck that are responding to calls will circle downwind an come in that way until they smell you then their gone and you never knew they were coming in. Thats why blind calling can be so tough to do successfully.