Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Beginner

Old 08-03-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Beginner

I've got a couple of questions for you guys. I've only been hunting for a few years, and have never been bowhunting. Over the next year, I'd like to buy a bow and become familiar with it, and go hunting with it in 06. Anyway, I look at hunting similar to other activities, etc, in that the best way to learn is to read up and then get out and try it. Any websites online or books you can think of that have a lot of "beginner" information about bowhunting is appreciated. Obviously, this is one is a good start, but I've got a lot of questions, and would just rather read up on it than bother everyone with my hundreds of questions.

My other question right now is let-off. From my understanding, is let off a metric of the bow that, in essence, describes the ease of holding the arrow once fully drawn? So if you have a bow with a draw weight of 70lbs, and 70% let off, are you holding 21 lbs once fully drawn? I might have this completely wrong, but that was how I understood it when I read it. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:42 PM

Default RE: Beginner

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

Check out that link for some bow informatoin. Ask anyone here. I bet they could say that I ask THOUSANDS of questions.

There is no stupid question unless it involves Mathew's!

If you just read these posts you will leanr a lot. That is where I get all of my answers.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zak,
Atleast you're not a brand basher--those types are real idiots!
Old 08-03-2005, 03:59 PM

One thing you may want to consider is looking at the NBEF/IBEF. This is the National Bowhunters Education Foundation. They have regional and state reps listed on their site and as a beginner I recommend touching base with someone like them. They have classes that run around 10 hours or so and provide a great wealth of knowledge on Bowhunting. I have been hunting for 21 years now and I still regularly take hunter ed classes. I took the NBEF calls a couple years ago and was impressed. They covered not only general and bowhunter safety, but had field time, Set up actual mock blood trails and yardage with 3-D's. They also did a actual proficieny shoot and are there to help make the archery experience a safe and enjoyable one. Just a thought.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the tip WB, I'll check it out and see if there's something like that in my area.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:15 PM

also minn. check out any sportsmen clubs or indoor ranges you always find someone to lend a helping hand, ytou might meet someone looking for a hunting partner to there
Old 08-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I left you a brief response over in the off season forum but I think Zak's suggestion may be even better. There are several, very informative sites like hunters friend that should give you the gist of the basics.