Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

anybody have tips for bowhunting from the ground

Old 08-02-2005, 01:37 PM

Default anybody have tips for bowhunting from the ground

Due to a work related injury I can no longer hunt from a tree so I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for hunting from the ground with a bow.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:16 PM

Default RE: anybody have tips for bowhunting from the ground

Being grounded is a hard way to go. I think the wind is key followed by camo.I would invest in some scent controling pop-up blinds and get them in the woods early. There is nothing like taking game from the ground ,but it's tough hunting.Good luck
Old 08-02-2005, 02:19 PM

Pop up blinds would be my suggestion as well. They're lightweight and easy to set up.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:20 PM

i hunted from the ground primarly last year with nothing more that camo a bucket and blind material,,not to sure what it is acctully call it is a bout 4feet wide and 10 feet long,,and got a shot a two does,,both of witch i missed.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

A double bull and play the wind hard. It's the only way I've even been within a reasonable bow range. Kelly
Old 08-02-2005, 02:38 PM

pop-up blinds are a good suggestion but i hunt on public land and if i leave it set up for the deer to get used to it someone will probably steal it .

will the deer get spooked if i take it down and set it up every time i go hunting
Old 08-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love hunting from the ground bowhunting. Its an awsome expierence and i like it alot better because i practice from the ground so its more comfortable to me. To me you cant hunt from a blind if you want but i find it easier to hunt next to a big tree, that way u can always put the tree between you and the deer so its easier to draw your bow. and scent control is key when hunting from the ground make sure all your stuff is scent proof. any other questions just ask.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

After 20 years of hunting, this is ther FIRST year I will be trying a tree stand - I've always ground hunted. IMO the most important things are these:

Play the wind and be as scent free as possible
Be quiet
Scout and pattern your deer
Have goodcamo/cover/blind
Know when to make movements (drawing, etc)
Old 08-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Snood. I love ground hunting and probably spend about half of my hunting on the ground. Pick a spot and stay there don't go spooking all the deer stalking them at this stage in your hunting career. You have to learn alot first. I have killed them sitting in the fork of trees. Killed them sitting by hay bales. Look around there are alot of places that are perfect to take a deer by surprise. Set yourself up so you see them first and can get drawed without being detected. Good luck
Old 08-02-2005, 07:38 PM

I hunt primarily from the ground, there is nothing like it. I carry a small foldable fishing style seat w/ a sling and a 24-30 inch high by about 5-6 feet wide camo blind I hunt behind. I push the stakes right into the ground set up my seat behind it and I'm good to go. Sometimes I augment the blind w/twigs and branches or natural grasses. It absolutley Disappears! However it does not contain your scent, but it is a lot cheaper (10-15$) and weighs next to nothing. It's worked for me, filled my freezer using it last season.

Quick Reply: anybody have tips for bowhunting from the ground

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.