Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

anybody have tips for bowhunting from the ground

Old 08-02-2005, 08:01 PM

Default RE: anybody have tips for bowhunting from the ground

ORIGINAL: wi_hunter05281

pop-up blinds are a good suggestion but i hunt on public land and if i leave it set up for the deer to get used to it someone will probably steal it .

will the deer get spooked if i take it down and set it up every time i go hunting
Welcome to the forums!! I have the same problem, and it has been my experience that if you don't surprise the deer with the blind, it won't bother them. In other words, don't put it on a bend in the road or something so that when the deer come around the corner, WHAM! there's the blind. Also, try to find a branch to tuck it under to break up the roof outline. With a minimal of brushing in, it has been my experience that the blinds don't bother them in the least, especially if you have the window netted. The black holes do look very out of place and the deer will be nervous of them.
Last season I had a nice 6 point 15 yards away. He stayed there for probably 20 minutes or so, just milling around. I was using a smokepole so the windows weren't netted. He looked intently my direction a couple of times but never spooked.
I have seen it said many times to set your blinds up several weeks before season so the deer "get used to them". I just simply don't agree. I don't believe you need to do that. I never leave my blind up and have seen entirely too many deer to believe that.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm glad to hear that Mobohunter. I plan to do alot of hunting out of a pop up blind this year and don't want to leave it in one place. I have several places in mind to set up depending on the wind and I only have 1 blind. Thanks for the tip about not setting up around a corner.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:12 PM

Make sure you are comfortable position!!!
Legs and feet tend to fall asleep if not in a good position. Constant position changes means movement, which = no deer! A pop up blind will conceal most movement. Sitting on a chair inside a blind is a comfotable and relaxing way to hunt.
Last year I had deer eating the leaves off the branches that I had laid against the blind for consealment. The only time any deer got nervous was when my 6 yr. old son would reach into the potato chip bag.
Good luck on the ground,
IAbowhntr3
Old 08-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

3D leafy wear and cover scent. Works wonders for me.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:22 PM

I do alot of hunting from the ground at times and last year had a shot at a nice 130-140 class in MO and a 140+ in IL off of the ground both of which I screwed up and missed. So it can be done off of the ground if you can keep your composure. I did however connect on a nice 136'' in IL while just sitting 3 rows in a corn field. I like the blinds but I really like to use the natural vegetation around if possible. I get twice as shaken hunting on the ground as I do in a stand...No matter if it is a buck or doe...Its alot of fun hunting on the ground keep us informed of your experiences this fall
Old 08-27-2005, 11:46 PM

If you can't leave up a blind, find something natural or construct something out of old limbs or a fallen treeto help conceal you.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a lot of good advice on this thread. I too hunt from a lot of ground blinds. I have a double bull blind and always brush it in if I am using it. I prefer the man made ground blinds myself. The double bullis nice but in low light it gets really dark inside. As for natural ground blinds I use logs, tree limbs and what ever debris I can put together to conceal my position. I usually always have a chainsaw with me when making a groundblind. I cut a stump to sit on and put in the blind. I make sure all the grounddebris inside of my set up is removed so I have nothing but bare dirt to move my feet around out so its quiet. Positioning a ground blind is key. I always try to set them up just downwind of the most common wind in the area of which I am expecting deer to walk by. I just finished up making two ground blinds for my sis and law who doenst like heights or treestands and is on her way up to hunt with us (my brother and I) over labor day weekend. Ground blind bow-hunting is an awesome experience when you have the critter you want at 10 yards and eye level! Good luck in your set ups!

Troy
Old 08-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

I have ground hunted without much success, besides a turkey. It is quite exciting but seems tougher. I have used natural vegetation and tree to make ground blinds and have had deer close but almost always I screwed up and spooked them because I didn't know they were standing close by. I am now using a Doghouse TSC and have been pretty happy with it. Pretty easy to haul, set up, and take down and its just big enough to bow hunt out of but small enough to fit in a lot of places. I scout shooting areas first and look for insets in brush and trees where I can set the blind into. I brush away stones, leaves, twigs, etc. where I will set the blind so I have a fairly flat spot and also around the blind where I will be walking and setting my stuff down so to keep it quiet. I also will cut some limbs and brush and position them handy so when I set up the blind they are right there to brush it in. The hardest thing I have is finding a good seat. I have been using one of those buckets with the swivel seat and it works fine but is pretty cumbersome to carry in. I have found some small fold ups but they seem too short. Not sure of your ailment but the Doghouse is pretty easy and fast to carry and set up. Once you figure it out you can fold it up pretty fast too. Just don't read the instructions. Also, I would recommend the TSC model as is obviously has the scent control, for what its worth, and because its a litte larger. Heres a link http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/doghousetsc.html
Old 08-28-2005, 03:10 PM
cap

I have archeryhunted for 6 years now, and always from the ground. I have taken deer every year from 25yds or less. I construct blinds out of whatever is handy.I use carbo mask face paint, wear woodland camo, and use a hunting stool. I always try to sit in front of a big tree to break up my out line and to avoid being shot by some other hunter. I also use fresh earth cover scent.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wi Hunter, honestly speaking I have been very successful from hunting on the ground with no ground blind.

Ground hunting gives you freedom to move into locations a treestand just can't go. My greatest tip... Use trees and deadfalls as your background, hunt the same trails you normally would hunt, don't move (deer can pick you off faster on the ground with little movement) and be patient, even when your knees don't want to be any longer.

Otherwise the same rules apply... you will learn ground hunting quicker than you think.

Quick Reply: anybody have tips for bowhunting from the ground

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.