Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new bowhunter

Old 08-02-2005, 01:15 PM

Default new bowhunter

Hello,,i am fairly new to bow hunt,,started last year,,i was wonderin if y'alls got any good advise??
Old 08-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new bowhunter

Hi, Welcome! The only advice that I can give you is practice as much as you can, all year long, in situations that you might find in the field (elevated in stands, kneeling, sitting, etc...), in the clothes that you might wear in the field. Other than that, if you are new to hunting, find someone that can mentor you.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

Visit these sites regularly and read the threads they are all full of advice.

Just make sure your boe is properly set up and tuned and you'll be off to a good start.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:24 PM

i have been practicing quite a been lately and have had troubles shoting consitinly,,any advise there
Old 08-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I run into that problem, I lay off for a few days or a week. It is amazing, when I do that how much my groups will shrink the next time I shoot my bow. As far as forum advice, you will get good and bad advice, a lot of opinion that may or may not be valid. That is why I suggest you get someone that can mentor you "hands-on". If you have a bowhunting or archery club in the area, that is a good start. I don't shoot in 3-d tournaments, but I've heard they help beginners.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: PSEsilverhawk55

i have been practicing quite a been lately and have had troubles shoting consitinly,,any advise there
Shoot less frequently and for shorter periods of time.

If you shoot 50 - 80 arrows one day, shoot 15 - 20 the next or skip that day completely.

Often when you practice for long periods of time every day you'll fatigue your body which in turn leads to poor shooting habits which will lead to inconsitent shooting.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:33 PM

i usally only shoot 20 to 30 times,, have been shot more lately to finish sighting in new sights and to try and get more consistent
Old 08-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the forum. It is nice to meet you. My best advice is to pay attention to scent control issues as much as possible. It often times separates the novice from the seasoned veteran....and also from eating venison all year as opposed to an empty fridge.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:39 PM

only scent control i had last year was scent eliminator stuff from walmart,,had deer walk 10yd.or less from me and not notice me till i shot it,,and had nine point walk 20 yd. from me during gun season,,witch i did not shot,,buck feverfroze up
Old 08-02-2005, 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: PSEsilverhawk55

i usally only shoot 20 to 30 times,, have been shot more lately to finish sighting in new sights and to try and get more consistent
Alright then, when you practice try focusing on one aspect of shooting every practice session.

Day 1 - Smooth release.
Day 2 - Controlled breathing.
Day 3 - Follow through.
Day 4 - Proper back tension.
Day 5 - Etc.. Etc... Etc..

You get the picture.

Quick Reply: new bowhunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.