Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow String Stretch???

Old 07-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bow String Stretch???

I just got a set of Vapor Trails VTX for my Cabelas PL1 (made by PSE) bow. This was the 1st time I have ever replaced a string on any bow myself. So before I put the new strings on I measured them to make sure they were right and they were.

After I swapped them put I measured my old ones. My cable had only stretched 1/8 inch. But the string had stretched 1 1/8 inch!

Is this normal stretch? The strings were 2.5 years old and well used. I don’t know what kind of string PSE used. It was black and white so maybe they used zebra?

What do you guys think?[/align]
Old 07-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bow String Stretch???

A single cam string is about 3 times as long as the cable and takes the brunt of the shock when you shoot the bow and therefore will always strech far more than the cable will.

On a well used 2.5 year old string this would be pretty normal. Especially seeing as how factroy strings leave a lot to be desired in the manufacturing process and materials used. I don't know for sure but I would immagine that the string was made form fast flight which isn't the greatest material in the world and is bad about streching.

For the new string I suggest you take a few measurements of cam rotation, distance from nock to axel, peep to nock, riser to string etc.. and periodically check these measurements so you can keep the string and cable twisted up properly and keep your bow performing at its best.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow String Stretch???

Bigbulls hit it on the head about taking some measurements. I might also add that it's smart to, right now, markthe side of your cams where they pass through the limbs. A pencil will do fine. This will give you an indication of how much the string creeps and give you a reference to twist up to in the event it does. Also measure brace height, bow weight, axle-to-axle length, tiller. It also doesn't hurt to draw a long arrow and have someone mark it at the front of the riser while you're at full draw. Measure this and you'll know for sure what your bow's drawlength is---measured, not guessed.