Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the best way too go about hunting public land?

Old 07-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whats the best way too go about hunting public land?

Also.... Try to hunt during the week if possible. On public lands around here, I've seen the WMA's (wildlife management areas) get so packed on a Saturday, the parking lots are jam packed to capacity!! Honest... I remember opening day dove season (I'm nota dove hunter, but wanted venture into the WMA to use their elevated archery range). Man, that place looked like a war-zone!Shotguns were going off so much it sounded like a popcorn popper!! I mean, these yahoos were shooting blue jays, crows, starlings, anything that flew in the air... I couldn't believe it. I turned around and was getting ready to get the heck out of there, but then I watched two game wardens rolling up. I remember cracking up laughing at the scene, because these were two game wardens went in there and had a field day writing ticket after ticket after ticket.....

Long story short.... Hunt public land during the week. It's way more quiet and you'll be able to still get in and head in deep to where the deer are.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

IMO, height of your tree stand doesn't make a difference. To me, your scent elimination preperation, and your cover in the woods is extremely at the top of the list. My number one rule for any type of big game hunting is you must play the wind properly or you're wasting your time. I shot a doe sitting on a pale on the ground at 8 yards last season. I was scent free, camo'd and covered well and played the wind properly. She never new I was there and/or what hit her. Hope this helps you out a little bit. Good luck!!! Oh by the way, all I hunt is state/public land.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

After having hunting heavily pressured public land for the last 15 years or so the best advice I can give you is to find out where the other hunters typically post and then plan accordingly. For example, if there are several guys who post 100 or so yards off the fields in anticipation of deer in either the morning or evening then I would suggest locating other trails that the deer might use once they discover the other hunters using the area. It is whatI am typically forced to do each season....it is effective though.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great tools for hunting public land are a gps and a map (either online or paper). Something with topo lines and where you can get some kind of idea of cover. I like the satelite picture web sites.
Pick out 4 or 5 spots that look good on the map and then head out to do some scouting. Make waypoints at a few of the best spots and then come back when you are ready to hunt. You'll be able to find your tree in the dark no problem.
It really cuts down on the scouting time. I do this every year in all the tracts of public land I hunt. Before every bow season I spend a few nights studying satelite pics looking for new spots.
I hunt mainly on public land. I have access to quite a bit of private land but there's 28,000 acres of public land adjacent to my inlaws 15 acres. Too many nice bucks in there to pass up.
I completely agree with hunting on week days, it's a whole different experience. On weekends I can always count on other hunters walking past me. usually it's a guy with a dog or squirrel hunters shooting every couple minutes. Pretty frustrating but sometimes they push the deer to me.
good luck!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:30 AM

I agree with a few points already said:

Hunt during the week. I usually hunt on Fridays and last year I did not see another hunter all season doing this. The parking areas are jam packed on Saturdays though.

Don't dismiss the close spots. As a rule of thumb, it is better to go in the woods as deep as possible because most hunters are lazy. Thick cover is always good also but don't rule out setting up close to a road or parking area. My hunting buddy shot a nice 8 pointer only 40 yards from the parking spot. We just laughed. Whoda thunk it would work.

Climb higher. I feel deer on public land always look up. I have watched them look straight across a fire road or clearing and then look up along the tree line. I would not have believed it if I didn't see for myself. Climb at leat 25 feet up.

Scent Control. Always important no matter where you hunt.

Other points to think about:

Scout many different spots. Just in case another hunter sets up in or close to your spot.

Be courteous to other hunters. If someone is in the parking areas before you, ask them where they are going to set up. Also look for flashlights in the trees to signal where hunters are. Just like we hate it when another hunter sets up close to us, don't do it to them even if you had the best spot you ever found. I have seen hunters get very heated about this and I got the heck out of dodge before fists or worse started flying. Be quiet while entering or exiting the woods. Other hunters are there and if you and your buddy are talking loudly or making a lot of racket with your equipment, that is screwing up the other hunter's chances. Actually, I think being courteous is the most important thing to consider while hunting publc land.

Know your local laws. In Maryland you cannot bait deer on public land. You cannot build permament stands or use screw in steps. Just be sure you know the regulations. It would suck to get a nice deer only to get slapped with a huge fine or have your deer and equipment confiscated.

Continue scouting. After a few weeks into the season, deer patterns will change due to hunting pressure. I will usually hunt till a little after lunch and then scout some more if I know other hunters are not in the woods. Just another reason to hunt during the week if you can.

I hunt public land about 90% of the time and have been successful every year. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't forget to talk with the local DNR agent. One evening I went to a new place to hunt because I had the time and the woods were near by. My first stop was to DNR to check on the local regs and then where have they been seeing deer and hunters. The agent gave me the updated regs and good advice on where to hunt. I choose right near the HQs because he said most hunters avoid them. I didn't shoot anything that night but I had plenty of opportunities.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:45 PM

buy maps, get the topo's & look for proven land features that will direct you to the deer. You also need to find thewir beding & feeding areas & setup on the right areas leading to and from these areas. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:18 PM

The real key is to out walk anyone and do your scouting!!! Hunting durning the weekdays is a huge bonus, less traffic!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 01:39 AM
Fork Horn

Hunt the demilitarized zones (places where less impact and pressure from other hunters),get back off the roads"high pressure areas"at least 1/4 mile back in thereand you'll find your game.
This tactic i've found works especially wellwhen i elk hunt.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Find the thickest, roughest, most difficult place to get a tree stand into and then find a straight tall tree righ in the middle of it. Set the alarm for 3AM and get up in that tree by 4:30. Let everyone else with a hangover push the deer into you!

Quick Reply: Whats the best way too go about hunting public land?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.