Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need help in reducing my bow torque

Old 07-23-2005, 10:45 PM

Default need help in reducing my bow torque

i finally have my bk all tuned up nice and sweet, when i do everything right my arrows are all but touching each other and some times they are touching, 3 arrows per shot set at 30 yards. however i am indescrimately putting torque on my bow with my grip. most of the time i still get a good group with it but i see the knock of my arrow in flight make a wide circle prior to hitting the target, and i feel my bow twitch or jump to the right (i am a left handed shooter) i know the instant i release my trigger wether i torqued or not. i have tried everything i know on grip styles and cant seam to figure out how to stop it. as i said earlier it is not constant but enough to irritate me. bow set up is bk2, wb, 28in arrows, 30in dl, tru fire release, target tips not broadheads, havent shot bh's yet.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need help in reducing my bow torque

I consentrate on keeping my fingers on my bow hand limp, so as I dont end up wrapping my fingers around the grip. I was taught that the bow is held in place of the bow hand only by the force of pulling on the string, wedged between your forefinger and thumb, thus keeping torque to a minimum, however the wrist area is still flexible and you must be consistent with it. If it's a problem, try using some sport tape to help stiffen the wrist. good luck
Old 07-24-2005, 04:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have your thumb facing the target and the rest of your fingers kinda pointing at the ground about 10 yds in front. No curling the fingers of any kind. Like said above "let them hang there limp"
Old 07-24-2005, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

The above advice is great and I would suggest trying it. The design of the BK does make it somewhat more sensitive to torque but you should be able to counter it by closely monitoring your grip style/form. You may also consider looking at an after-market grip. The Bowtech grips are very good but tend to be very "neutral" in my opinion thus making it difficult at times to get a repeatable grip position.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:42 AM

thanks guys, gonna give it a good whirl and see how it goes,
PA what type of grip would your recomend as a replacement. i have very large hands and that grip is a bit small as my little finger doesnt even fit on the grip, it actually fits over the stabalizer. think that could be my little culpret?
Old 07-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man, snap us a picture of them big ole hands and put them on here. Are you sure your not anticipating your shot? Just a thought.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:22 AM

motown my little finger is a ring size of 12, my ring finger is a size 14. just to let you get an idea. these meathooks of mine to get in the way alot. hehehe. most pistol grips are way to small for me as well.
as for the antisipation, i do do that on occasion but when i do antisipate the shot i usually pull so bad that i completely miss my deer target, usually i shot hard to the left when it does happen, thankfully not very often, usually when im tired from shooting. i usually shoot between 1 and 2 hours at a time, need to shorten my time so i dont get so tired. but i love to shoot and when i start its hard to stop, that is till i do something stupid and i know its time to stop.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Dominant Buck

First off, make sure you got that grip settled onto the pad of your thumb.... not settled into your palm. If you're doing it in the palm you'll get more torgue and odd hand pressures. It won't take long to get the hang of shooting off the pad UNLESS, you're over bowed or your draw length is too long. That would be my next thoughts, your draw length may be wrong. Assuming they're all correct, take your grips off your bow and use some of that vibration wrap that Sims(the leeche people) make. Wrap it around your rise where the grips were. It makes your bow warmer to hold in cold weather and really is nice to shoot from.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:33 AM

thanks david i will try that and yes sir i am shooting from the palm not from the thumb pad, will try and shoot from the pad on my next outting, what is this simms thing you are talking about here and where can it be purchased at? and yes sir my dl is correct, im actually a 31 in shooter from fingers, but my release gives me an extra in and i have a good anchor point, knuckle of the thumb fits right in the hole under the ear, works great for me. thanks much.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:11 AM

Ok, this is just a thought. Thinking outloud a little. Some people I know who shoot without a wrist sling will hold the bow with an open grip as described above, but subconsciously grab the bow on release for fear of it "jumping" out of their hand. Just wondering if you shoot with a wrist sling or not.

Quick Reply: need help in reducing my bow torque

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.